Onboard Air(using LR3's existing compressor)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the day off today, so I decided to pick up a full size spare and check out a few of the 4x4 shops in the area for toys. After trying, unsuccessfully, to fit the inflated Cooper Zeons under the car, I decided that I needed some way to fill the spare back up if I ever need to use it. I checked out some of the suggested compressors, but they were either more than I wanted to spend right now or way too slow(Q-Industries). I decided to try another route since I had some time on my hands...

I pulled the plug from the front of the onboard air tank under the driver's side and, after about 4 hours, found a custom fasteners shop that had a metric connector that I could attach, through a reducer joint, an air tool coupler to( the quick-connect on the hose attaches there). After tightening the whole thing up and checking for leaks... bang... unlimited onboard air for under $60 (including hose, chuck, psi pen tool).

I was able to air my front tire from 15psi to 39psi in about 3.5 minutes (with the tank full). The truck does throw a fault when I use it, but it clears once you cycle the car back on. It appears that if you are airing up while the compressor is on, it will throw a fault and shut off. You just have to cycle the car back on and wait of the tank to fill again. Overall, seems to work pretty well. I'll put in an update if any issue pop up.

Last edited:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to go making that work. I have seen other earlier threads on this topic that did not recommend trying this, due to overheating or possibly damaging the compressor that runs your suspension system. The Viair 440p I have in the back is a little faster, but obviously more expensive too.

Can you post some pics of the install and hose fitting location? Is it under the driver's side as well? Thanks.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to see a few pics. It would be nice for a back up source of air

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What were the sizes used to get you to the correct size

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, SH Bldr!

Wonder what this would do for us that have extended warranties?

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the sizes are, but the part that connects to the compressor is part# 10M20F8OMXS from McCoy Sales Corp in Louisville, CO. The part has a metric end for the compressor and a 1/2 inch male end on the other side.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took it over the Flatirons LR and showed the guys in the shop after I finished. They thought is was pretty cool and made no mention of warranty issues. Plus, I kept the old plug so that I can put it back in if need be.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an awesome thought! Would also allow those that want onboard air to not use the spot in the engine bay, thus allowing the installation of a second battery at the same time as the on-board air...

jak167

Reaction score
Do you have something to cover the coupling when driving? Seems like it would fill up with water/salt/dirt/etc. pretty fast. How hard is it to attach the hose? Do you have to crawl under the truck?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99