Oversize tires for 2020 Defender

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-Most of the 35" off road tires I like are only available in E-Load Range; so airing-down is almost ineffective as the 10-ply sidewall barely deforms as the pressure drops. Even the D-range tires available are heavy as hell. Have not been able to find any 35" XL range off road tires.
I had to chuckle when I read this part... In the LR3 world, everyone is adamant you NEED E-rated tires! E-rated tires are rated for over double the GVWR of the the 3. I have had one person in 4 years agree that E is overkill. Plus few seem to grasp that an E rating does not guarantee a truly tougher sidewall.

I believe I heard on the Overland Journal podcast that the designers had 35's in mind when designing the new Defender. If I'm correct in my recollection, they're a source I trust and the running gear should handle it fine.

That being said, my opinion is 35's would be overkill for what I personally would use the vehicle for. I don't view really any Land Rover as a true rock crawler, but definitely one that can handle it occasionally. With the independent suspension and 33's you will crush the ground clearance of pretty much anything else on 35's without a lot of the headaches. Put on some sliders to protect the rockers and let the control arms get their battle scars!

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to chuckle when I read this part... In the LR3 world, everyone is adamant you NEED E-rated tires! E-rated tires are rated for over double the GVWR of the the 3. I have had one person in 4 years agree that E is overkill. Plus few seem to grasp that an E rating does not guarantee a truly tougher sidewall.

I believe I heard on the Overland Journal podcast that the designers had 35's in mind when designing the new Defender. If I'm correct in my recollection, they're a source I trust and the running gear should handle it fine.

That being said, my opinion is 35's would be overkill for what I personally would use the vehicle for. I don't view really any Land Rover as a true rock crawler, but definitely one that can handle it occasionally. With the independent suspension and 33's you will crush the ground clearance of pretty much anything else on 35's without a lot of the headaches. Put on some sliders to protect the rockers and let the control arms get their battle scars!
Well-put Sir! I did have some BFG Mud Terrains in E-range on my first JKU Rubicon. They were actually a true 33" (pizza cutter, I prefer narrow as possible) and they did well except when you really wanted the grip for rocks.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the Defender with 31.5" (true diameter) Nitto Ridge Grapplers at Uwharrie. The Ridge Grapplers were very good on the rocks and just "good enough" or "OK" in the mud and slick stuff.

Was definitely wishing I had gone with 35" tires (maybe BFG Mud-Terrain KM2?) and rock sliders so I could have finished Daniel and some of the extremely difficult trails.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ran the Defender with 31.5" (true diameter) Nitto Ridge Grapplers at Uwharrie. The Ridge Grapplers were very good on the rocks and just "good enough" or "OK" in the mud and slick stuff.

Was definitely wishing I had gone with 35" tires (maybe BFG Mud-Terrain KM2?) and rock sliders so I could have finished Daniel and some of the extremely difficult trails.
Not to step on any toes, but I’ve never been impressed with the ridge grappler as a serious off road tire. They look cool, but seem to fall short on performance.

If you’re looking for mud tires check out the Cooper SST Pro. My son has 31’s on his Samurai and they are the quietest mud tire I’ve come across. We can cruise on the freeway (not very quickly ;-) with the top off and have a conversation. They’ve also got the same sidewall as my S/T Maxx and I have abused the heck out of them without a single flat.

doc5339

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to step on any toes, but I’ve never been impressed with the ridge grappler as a serious off road tire. They look cool, but seem to fall short on performance.

If you’re looking for mud tires check out the Cooper SST Pro. My son has 31’s on his Samurai and they are the quietest mud tire I’ve come across. We can cruise on the freeway (not very quickly ;-) with the top off and have a conversation. They’ve also got the same sidewall as my S/T Maxx and I have abused the heck out of them without a single flat.
Thanks, will check them out when I wear these Nittos out. I only went with Ridge Grapplers because they performed well on my Wrangler JKUR Recon (33" x 10.5" came on them when I bought it) and they were pretty quiet on-road.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut