P0500 VSS OBD2 "A" circuit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a P0500 code, can somebody point me to where I might find this sensor and how difficult is it to replace? Thank you.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe it's a vehicle speed sensor (which is connected near the hub assembly), and I believe the A circuit normally points to the U.S. passenger side.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, yeah sorry, VSS in the title was me being lazy, so VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor. By hub assembly I assume you mean the wheel hub? Will I see it if I take the wheel off?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the wheel hub. I believe this is it:

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, is there a way to figure out if it's front or rear? I'm hoping I don't have to disassemble the whole hub assembly as shown in the video???...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replacing the sensor looks easy and you just have to take a wheel off. You may even be able to do it without removing the wheel.

In the video, he took the hub apart to fix what was damaging the sensor in his particular situation.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it would be easier than the video!

I'm still having some lingering doubts about what sensor; there also appears to be a vehicle speed sensor in the transmission (txm500020), could it be this one and not the ABS sensors? It's also weird in that there are no engine lights and no weird behavior although I do get a suspension fault on occasion which can be cleared by restarting the vehicle.

Last edited:

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was the rear right sensor I believe; changing the sensor took probably 15 minutes so it's quite easy.

ApolloActual

Reaction score
I assumed it must have been the front. How did you determine which one had the issue?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99