Park Brake fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's only if you're unlucky and toast the actuator...adjustment of the brake shoes is more like an hour tops

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI - The indie repair shop 'Overlander' in South Boston quoted me $1261 for an actuator replacement. He's trying to convince me it will need to be replaced, I hope Trynian is right and it is just an adjustment needed - at a labor rate of $97/hour

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get details on any error code - when I had to have mine replaced it was due to a "failure to latch" with an interesting sound effect. Turns out that although I had it replaced with a salvage unit I picked up for $325, the wizards over on disco3 dot co dot uk (stupid site here masking other sites!) figured out that those EPB issues can be recovered from. If it's a problem with the cables out of the actuator then I believe those can be bought as replacements cheaper...

Last edited:

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are several issues with the EPB system on these trucks. If it is making noise, you know the one, when trying to apply, it's one of two reasons, either the cables are seized up, or the actuator is out of adjustment to the brake shoes.

Do not continue to try to apply it. It will strip the gears, and it will need everything.

With it being recently after being submerged, I would bet that the shoes got dirty, dragged on the drums, and the heat caused the cable sheathing to melt, and seize up. When you tried to apply it, the actuator wasn't able to pull the cable, hence the noise from gear slippage.

The cables can be replaced separately, however, until the job is complete, there is no way to know if the gears in the actuator are still in good enough shape to work. Personally I recommend replacing the whole unit, and inspecting the brake shoes and drums (rear rotors) in a situation like this.

There have been several service bulletins on this subject, including the one that says the 'fix' for the noise is a 'unjam' procedure. This will only work if the reason for it making noise is due to it pulling too much on the cable, and not actually tightening, due to incorrect brake shoe adjustment, usually in this case, it will sound somewhat normal for a second, and then make the screeching noise.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch, the actuator gears are fried. $800 part + 4 hours labor - appx. $1,200.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99