Park Brake Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trouguex

Reaction score
Houm: The noise you are hearing is unfortunately all to common. Had you gotten rear brakes on your truck in the last couple months? What happens is when they install new brake rotors the parkiing brake shoes drag on the new rotors thus wearing them down and they get to a point where the parking brake actuator over extends beyond its adjustment range. The next thing is that the parking brake cables stretch because of the over extension and the gear inside the actuator will strip causing you horrible noise. Yes, sometimes they can adjust the parking brake shoes back into spec and make the noise go away for a while but eventually it will come back and you will need to replace the parking brake actuator assembly. If you have the extended warranty you should only have to pay for the rear brake rotors, pads and sensor.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...it's quite possible. I'd never associated the brake job with the EPB howling before though. Maybe because it didn't happen RIGHT after my rear pad replacement. Either way, it was taken care of. Cost me $100 the first time, and nothing the second time. I believe that in each case they replaced the actuator.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prolly a dumb question, but why are people with automatic transmissions using parking brakes? I mean, isn't the vehicle physically incapable of moving with the transmission in park and either the park pin or ball (how ever LR does it) engaged?

Just wondering...

I do now because I had an 02 Bravada that popped out of Park and hit my company car....:ahhhhh:

Yep; you're actually supposed to apply the park brake, put the tranny in N; release the foot brake and then put the tranny in park to explicitly put the weight on the brake and take it off the park pin.

I do that if I'm on an incline....which is rare here...:hmpf:

jazzy_james

Reaction score
To repair the parking brake actuator is going to cost me $1772.84 parts and labor, plus tax. :mad:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That ain't right...it shouldn't even be half of that! Is that the only game in town?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635