Parking Break Replacement/Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take EPB adjustment seriously and do it proper way!.This 70 MPH shoes lock up happened to me on PA highway .I was tring to save some money while replacing rotors and brake pads,front and back, so i took my car to regular ,friends friend mechanic and when i ask about adjusting a brake shoes and putting EPB in sleep mode,he actually smiled at my and sad that this is all lB.S.dealer talk to drain customers pockets.i did not know better back then,so i have not persisted hard enough to do it .Ended up paying dearly for that mistake.Shoes locked (700.00 at dealer),towing-$100 , overnight stay at nearby hotel-$96 and warped rotors from heat generated from burning hot hub-$200.This whole experience?PRICELESS.The key is to learn from others mistakes, so you don't have to be confronted with unpleasant surprises ,when least expected.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take EPB adjustment seriously and do it proper way!.This 70 MPH shoes lock up happened to me on PA highway .I was tring to save some money while replacing rotors and brake pads,front and back, so i took my car to regular ,friends friend mechanic and when i ask about adjusting a brake shoes and putting EPB in sleep mode,he actually smiled at my and sad that this is all lB.S.dealer talk to drain customers pockets.i did not know better back then,so i have not persisted hard enough to do it .Ended up paying dearly for that mistake.Shoes locked (700.00 at dealer),towing-$100 , overnight stay at nearby hotel-$96 and warped rotors from heat generated from burning hot hub-$200.This whole experience?PRICELESS.The key is to learn from others mistakes, so you don't have to be confronted with unpleasant surprises ,when least expected.

I have the factory instructions for parking brake shoe replacement, adjustment and bedding in procedures. Nowhere does it say a scan tool is needed. Yes you need to put the brake into service mode but that is done via a combination of brake pedal, park brake switch and ignition key positions. The adjustment procedure is not something to follow lightly and if followed to the "t" there is no reason that any "do-it-yourselfer" can't do this. The instructions for brake repair and replacement can be found in a zip file on the disco3.uk forum. I believe the reason for my failure was because the last service person to touch them didn't do it right either. I have checked and so far I do not have any drag (70mph with drag will cause the high heat warping and locking situation you describe) but the brakes will not engage themselves as you hit 70mph. With all of this being said anyone that has the instruction file and the know how to do the simple repair can complete it on their own.
Ryan

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone remind me what is causing the 70mph lock-up and if that is a side-effect of a feature...

...is there some time you'd want to use a feature, when your regular brakes fail? , and you need to engage the parking brake at speed? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about.?!?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone remind me what is causing the 70mph lock-up and if that is a side-effect of a feature...

...is there some time you'd want to use a feature, when your regular brakes fail? , and you need to engage the parking brake at speed? Or do I have no idea what I'm talking about.?!?

The brakes are probably overheated and by the time you get to 70mph they are hot enougth to lock and cause problems (This is a guess on my part because I can see where this would happen if improperly adjusted). No parking brake should ever engage on it's own at any speed. (Your life depends on it!!!) Now should your service brakes fail while driving you can simply lift on the EPB switch and it will apply the parking brake in a gradual motion without locking the wheels. It also will not lock on unless you bring the vehicle all the way to a stop with it (If you don't completely understand this feature you should read the owners manual and try it in an open parking lot, better to know how before you actually need to use it). Also this system is designed to work this way so if your parking brake is properly adjusted it shouldn't cause any problems with the rest of the system. This feature will also activate the brake lights to signify that you are slowing down (Same as HDC). I have succesully used this emergency brake system just so I understand how it works.
Ryan

Bigtaku

Reaction score
Help

My 2006 LR3 is doing the same thing. (Loud screech and fault on dash when I try and use the EPB. What should I do and buy?

Trynian

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 is doing the same thing. (Loud screech and fault on dash when I try and use the EPB. What should I do and buy?

It may just need adjusting. Mine started to do this occasionally. It had not been adjusted in 70k miles and I was coming up my first rear rotor change.

Rotors were changed and the park break adjustment was part of the procedure that was done. The screech and fault have not returned since.

See Bodsys Brake Bible over at disco.co.uk for more details on the procedure.

Vizmobile

Reaction score
I have a 2006 LR3 SE with 84K miles, I'm the third owner and I've babied it for a year (its my 2nd car). Last week I received a park break error message, owner's manual is vague on the problem, any ideas? I'd hate to take it to the dealer for something I can possibly fix.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you provide more detail? Were there other effects as well (feeling or behaving strange? Grinding from the hubs/rotors, screeching sound?). If the fault is gone and doesn't come back and there were no other effects then maybe you can do nothing and be okay.

Generally if it's an EPB actuator issue you'll KNOW it because the screeching sound that goes with it cannot be missed.

Vizmobile

Reaction score
Can you provide more detail? Were there other effects as well (feeling or behaving strange? Grinding from the hubs/rotors, screeching sound?). If the fault is gone and doesn't come back and there were no other effects then maybe you can do nothing and be okay.

Thanks for the reply. There are NO noises and no issues. The owners manual says not to use the parking break, so I have been avoiding parking on hills (not to hard as I don't drive it regularly). I was wondering if it was a blown fuse . . .

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is a blown fuse but that would be easy to check.

I would say use the EPB when it's safe to do so...that way if there is indeed an issue you can tease it out, and get it repaired.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge