Picking up my new LR3 today!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rsm

Reaction score
Hello all. I am obviously new to this forum have enjoyed reading about everyones Land Rover experiences.

Today I am picking up my brand new 2006 LR3 HSE (Z. Silver/Alpaca). I have never owned a Land Rover before and I must admit I am quite nervous about it. My past 2 vehicles have both been Toyotas and have been good cars, but not perfect. I am praying that the LR3 will not make me regret my decision from a quality/reliability standpoint. I have always been impressed by Land Rovers heritage and tradition and like the fact that this is a company that builds only off-road go anywhere vehicles. From what I gather most LR owners are serious good natured outdoor people, who love getting outside and enjoying the world around them. I like that.

Are there things I should carefully look out for when inspecting my truck when taking delivery?

While most of the reviews I have read from the major car mags have ranged from good to great, most of the Land Rover Forums are dominated by threads where people come to discuss their problems with their vehicles. I know that this is the nature of most forums on ANY product - people are usually spending time going there only to report a problem and don't bother just saying how great their car is.

Anyhow, I love the design and styling of the LR3 and am equally impressed by it's off road capabilities. I hope to be visiting here regularly sharing my experiences and will post some pics when I get them. See you on the trail.

Cheers!

rsm

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it's like marriage. They're all crazy so you just pick the one that you like the most that has the best t*ts and you dive in. Some things are bound to go wrong and that's just unavoidable. When they do, you come here and ***** to the other married guys... then go home and drive your truck as much and as far as it will let you.

Have fun!

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the family!! I, same as you, like LR products and had similar concerns, but I can say that I have been extremely happy with mine!
LR3 SE 7 tonga green/tan

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RSM, welcome to the community or Rover owners. Some things you should know.

Your LR3 will not compare to any Toyota in terms of "forget about it" maintainence. Land Rovers are not designed as conservatively. There are MANY cutting edge technologies in your LR3. In addition, within your LR3 you have two complete vehicles with dynamic personalities and amazing capabilities, unlike a one dimensional Toyota that can only be described as neutral at best, and bland to most. I don't say this to knock Toyota's, I respect them immensly and appreciate their quality. I had a down payment on a Double Cab Tundra before the LR3 found me.

However, the LR3 is so amazingly capable in off roading, as well as freeway cruising, and nimbly navigating through congested City driving. They are inspired vehicles.

In addition, as you have begun to learn, there is a fantastic community of Rover owners. I don't know where you reside, but I'm confident you will find a local club of Rover owners. Join that club, particiate in their events. I have been enjoying the Southern California Land Rover (www.sclr.org) club, and their frequent outings.

Another difference between Toyota and LR, is that you will come to know most if not all the staff at your dealership. This is not a bad thing. Your dealer will periodically invite you to off road trips, wine tasting outings, and other events. It's an extension and intergal part of the community I keep mentioning.

As for your LR3 itself, I reccommend participating in the various forums such as this, and particularly the disco3.co.uk forum, which is a great source of information about your new Rover.

I'm encouraged to hear you talk about getting your LR3 dirty. It's very happy in the dirt, and so will you be.

Regards,

Nathan Woods
www.nextstepdesigns.com

R

rheudabaga

I was a skeptic when my wife decided to go with the LR3, but three months in, I'm quite impressed. [knocks wood] Haven't had any service issues yet... [knocks wood again]

rsm

Reaction score
It's in the driveway!

First let me say thank you to everyone for their warm welcome. I hope to be visiting her regularly and getting to know you all.

Now the important stuff: Picked up my truck from Land Rover Tampa Bay, and it was perfectly polished and waiting for me on the compass dial on the showroom floor. My sales guide went through the usual walk through and I was on my way. My overall dealer experience was Very Good. It was on par with my experience at Crown Audi in St Pete which has set the benchmark in my experience.

Anyhow, I got home and started reading over all the manuals and it begins to pour down rain like crazy, so what better time to check out the all weather performance of my spit polished LR3? Out in the elements I go and I am so far very impressed with the taught feel & solid handling. View of the road and other traffic is unsurpassed of any other vehicle I have owned. Going through some pretty good sized road puddles and no sense of wheel slippage at all. Also noticed how quiet the cabin is at Interstate speeds.

Tomorrow i should have no problems finding some more dirt to baptize this thing with.

Adios.

rsm

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Mine has 30k miles on it, and no, it's not perfect, but neither is my wife and we've been together 28 years. You will learn to love the uniqueness of this vehicle, whether on the rottenest rockiest road, or at the theatre. It really is extraordinary as the ads say....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4