Please identify these sounds! LR4 Vibration on Gas pedal and Front End Clicking

Discussion in 'LR4' started by JARentDTOM, Jul 15, 2019.

1. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

It's at the shop? AND you have warranty left?
    Yeah... they will DEFINITELY find out what it is (and probably a few other things as well)

I'm at the last 5K or so of my extended warranty. Every time I take it in... "if you happen to find anything else" and they usually do. :)

JARentDTOM likes this.
  2. JARentDTOM

JARentDTOM Active Member

Yes, I knew they would find something, they always do. Replacing left axle shaft, power steering rack, and changing diff fluid. Warranty is taking care of everything but the diff change. I’m happy that I’m in the “black” on the warranty, and perhaps it’ll fix my sounds.

cperez and ryanjl like this.
  3. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

What year is yours?

If it's a 2012 or older, and the timing chain guides haven't been done, I'd start listening really hard on startup.

toddjb122 likes this.
  4. toddjb122

toddjb122 Full Access Member

2013. Thank you for the reminder!!

What am I listening for exactly?

5. ryanjl

You're fine, then, at least as far as having the updated timing chain guides. They were updated in late 2012 production.

The magic words, as far as I can tell, are "it sounds like a bunch of marbles on startup."

toddjb122 likes this.
  6. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

I’ve also heard it sounds like cards slapping the spokes of a bike like we did when we were kids or a Diesel engine.

My understanding is that even the ones post 2012 production with timing guide updates are not immune. My 2010 is still quiet with 5000 mile oil change intervals

7. ryanjl

That's what some posts on the LR Owner's group on facebook have been saying.

I think it just comes down to "how often do you change your oil," and the 2013 and newer models that wait 15k for an oil change are still going to have problems, even with the updated guides.

8. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Yes, that’s what I was getting at. Definitely no car should have a 15k interval. Brilliant way by the manufacturers to sell more cars.

9. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

The one I heard in person with the issue sounded more like a rhythmic knock, knock, knock.

It was very noticeable and distinct from the other noisemakers doing their thing up front; fan clutch, HPFP, etc.

10. avslash

avslash Full Access Member

Actually, was just wondering if anyone has ever tried snaking a boroscope down through the oil filler hole to better inspect the chain tension on that cylinder bank?

I know I have heard of some people trying to wiggle something down there to press on the chain to get some idea of the tension.

Might not be of any use, as I assume the hydraulic tensioners are not pressurized when the engine is not running.

Just a thought.