Potential Purchase of 05 LR3 with issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maskedmonkey2

Reaction score
Hi again all,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I did purchase the truck after all. Drove down there the next weekend and trailered it home.

It was a craigslist deal, apparently the fella got scared of it when the transmission started acting funny and stopped driving it, after sitting for almost a year (with regular startups and runs) his wife decided that he needed to sell it.

It's been used but is overall pretty clean, just a few dents and dings and the interior is in above average conditions for it's age IMO.

It turns out both boots on the sunroof drains were rotted and leaking, those were both replaced.

Electrical gremlins were a few easy things, I replaced the bad battery and replaced the corroded head unit with a used Ebay special. All is good on that front.

Replaced the rear hatch cable/latch assembly after finding the previous owners jerry rigged solution failed the second time I used it.

Also put a set of cooper discoverer at3 265/65 on it to replace the old tires (that were showing wire)

I was originally thinking I would flip the truck for a bit of profit, but after driving it I realized that I couldnt get something as comfortable or as capable for what I would be willing to spend for it, the more I drive it the more I seem to like it.

the transmission is still a bit concerning. The issue is actually that kick or **** when coming to a dead stop (the shift from 2 to 1), or the bone rattling **** if you don't bother to come to a complete stop. It also seems to have issues when warm and I take it easy. For example if I ease up to 35-40 mph while it is warm it tends to upshift and downshift as if it is unsure what to do. Occasionally this will trigger it to put itself into limp mode until I turn the truck off and on again. Oddly though, if under some power and the truck is pulling, the tranny shifts smooth as can be. One other "issue" if it offers anymore clues to the problem is that it has a 2-3 second delay before the transmission actually shifts when I put it in reverse.

Also, this weekend we got a big rain (a somewhat rare occurance for this part of west Texas) and now my head unit and nav screen are completely dark. I am suspecting that I screwed up my passenger side drain boot replacement and water got into that area but am going to crack that open and take a look today. I am considering replacing the head unit with an aftermarket and mounting a gps/backup cam in the existing nav spot. I come from the Saab world and understand that dealing with the MOST nonsense is a pain, but if either of these are broken again I don't see that it's much worth replacing as I am not a fan of the dated interface on the nav anyways.

In any case, sorry again for the late update, but thanks for not talking me out of this purchase, I'm absolutely not regretting it yet.

maskedmonkey2

Reaction score
Now I feel like I went from going dark to spamming. Be careful what you wish for.

I poked and prodded around the dead radio yesterday. My sunroof drain boot on the passenger side seems to be just fine. All signs are pointing to another dead head unit. Power is making it's way to the unit but I am not getting the signal back out that engages the relay to put power to the nav unit and wherever else that goes. We cracked it open but there are no obvious corrosion or burns on the circuit board. I guess it might just be a coincidence that my ebay pullout died in the same way as the last one the day of a big rain storm, but I am still skeptical.

I am seriously considering an aftermarket head unit instead if this thing is going to keep eating radios.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV