Power Steering Blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my new 2013 gets its first ding: yesterday while making a full-wheel left turn (going 2 mph), smoke starts coming from the left tire. Heavy smoke. I drive 20 feet, losing power steering, park it, call the tow truck.

It's obvious that the power steering system had a major failure. The fluid was gone from the tank and leaking all over the parking lot.

My question is this: Could a tech have f-ed up my power steering during an alignment. I had the alignment done about a month ago, and this is too coincidental. Just curious.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a postscript to this, it was the power steering fluid line that blew up. The line and pump are both being replaced. Tech had never seen anything like it. I actually got lucky. It had been slow leaking all night (leaving a trail from my driveway). The line didn't actually blow until I got where I was going.

My guess is either a nicked line or a pump that put too much pressure on the line. Either way, seems like a simple fix, but what a mess

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm actually surprised it didn't catch fire. There was certainly a lot of smoke.

costelj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe someone is trying to **** you. Granted, I have been watching a lot of Columbo on Netflix lately. Never mind.

Glad it worked out.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635