Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bodsy

Reaction score
I the have a 2011 LR4 and have been having some power steering problems. Just started a few days ago, whenever I try to turn the wheel it gets stuck in certain spots in rotation. I can still turn but it's much harder, like the power steering pump not working--again, only in certain spots. It's been getting quickly worse the past couple days.

I took it to a shop and they said my power steering fluid is burned and they "guess" that it clogged the pump somehow and that they can fully replace it and see if that helps. They quoted me $1200 for the repair.

My question is this: why would my fluid be burned? If the pump is clogged wouldn't it be hard to steer altogether, not just at certain points? And is $1200 really what it should cost to replace the pump? I could really use some suggestions.

Thanks guys!

I would definitely check the lower steering column. There is a joint near the steering rack. This is a sealed unit and wears over time. Causing inconsistent tightness in the steering.
I had this a few times over the years. Interesting coming down some Spanish mountain passes when it gets worse you end up having to “push - pull) the steering wheel.
Start off by spraying some Lubricating fluid on the joint. That should temporarily ease it. Easy enough to change the whole shaft. They’re about £200 so not sure what they are over there.

Aiden Harris

Reaction score
I would definitely check the lower steering column. There is a joint near the steering rack. This is a sealed unit and wears over time. Causing inconsistent tightness in the steering.
I had this a few times over the years. Interesting coming down some Spanish mountain passes when it gets worse you end up having to “push - pull) the steering wheel.
Start off by spraying some Lubricating fluid on the joint. That should temporarily ease it. Easy enough to change the whole shaft. They’re about £200 so not sure what they are over there.
Thanks for the reply, just talked to Rover Tech and without looking at it he said the same thing. I'll flush it and refill with the proper fluid. Hopefully the fluid doesn't burn after that. And I'll try greasing the joint and let you guys know what happens. Is there a specific lubricant I should use?

justingreene

Reaction score
I have had this issue on many occasions with my 2005 LR3 and it was always resolved by lubricating the u-joint in the steering column.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM