Premium fuel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcox

Reaction score
Does anyone get by with regular gas in their LR3 or does everyone use premium? I have only used premium as suggested but I was wondering how the LR3 would react to regular. I remember a Consumer Reports article some time back stating their was no reason to ever have to use premium, with very few exceptions.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definetely recommend premium. I cannot say from experience, but I took my vehicle in to the dealer for poor gas mileage. (used to be 15-18, now 13-15) The dealer asked if I used premium fuel. I told him i did but asked what the consequences of regular fuel are. They told me that the computer adjusts accordingly and changes timing and air for the lesser quality fuel. Resulting in poor performance, gas mileage and sluggishness. Lower grade fuel does not burn as well as a higher octane fuel. Some cars are designed to burn only lower octane fuels, jaguar did not design our motor that way. I think they were overdoing it a little, but I do believe in that answer. The moral of the story was to run premium. You at least owe it to your LR. Where I live its really only a difference of about $4.00 per fill. Plus with ethanol polluting our gas now, ill take all the points I can get.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always use regular. I used premium for about 10 tankfuls once and didn't notice any difference whatsoever.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the V6 I noticed a big difference in how things ran (poorly with 87 octane). I've been told that our high compression engines (11:1 or more) really need the premium full.

Besides which, it's part of the Ten Commandments of Land Rover Ownership:

Ten Commandments of Land Rover Ownership (by Gotrovr on lrrforums)

1) Thou shall not Bling Bling thy Rover. Ghettoizing or installing 20" wheels, chrome wheels, or wheels with spinners is not allowed and is punishable by car crusher or forced sale on a shady used car lot.

2) Thou shall never leave thy fellow Rover behind. Failure to assist a disabled or God forbid stuck Rover shall be punishable by banishment from his or her club or by keel hauling thru the mud with thy pants down.

3) Thou shall not drink and drive. It is permissible to drive first then drink. Drinking while driving is a jeep thing.

4) Thou shall not modify thy Land Rover for only trips to the mall, grocery store or soccer practice. Failure to frequently drive off-road a modified Land Rover shall bring upon the Owner the title of "Mall Queen"

5) Thou shall not sacrifice thy Land Rover as a parts truck without a proper Christening by 12 year old bottle of Scotch. Failure to first "Take a swig" shall make void the first Christening and shall force the Owner to buy another 12 year old bottle of Scotch and try again.

6) Thou shall wave while passing other Land Rovers regardless of type or gender. Failure of the other Rover driver to return a friendly wave may result in the first waiver to point his or her middle finger instead.

7) Thou shall not use gas with an octane rating lower than 91. Smelly exhaust is a by product of Bad Gas. Rover owners who have Bad Gas must camp down wind of the camp site.

8) Thou shall not eat Egg Beaters for breakfast while on a Rover outing. Improper ingestion of Egg Beaters may contribute to smelly exhaust. "My eggs will break" is not a legitimate excuse as real Land Rover drivers don't break their eggs while on the trail. Punishment for eating Egg Beaters is the forced drinking of warm Bud Lite for the remainder of the trip.

9) Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's rover. As a Land Rover Owner it is your responsibility to build a stronger more capable rover than thy neighbor's rover with at least a roof rack, hella lights, after market bumper, lift kit, sliders, winch, bigger tires and stickers.

10) Thou shall not own more than 4 Land Rovers at any one time. Because the law of diminishing returns does not apply to Land Rover ownership, Rover Owners risk the law of bankruptcy or threat of divorce by spending all their time and money on maintenance and mods.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the motion on this Proposition.

"So let it be written, so let it be done."

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amen brother nwoods, Amen :smile:

OT, but any plans for mid August....say in Melrose???

Cheers
John

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Nathan, for helping me keep a bit of dignity. When I first read about someone wanting to put regular gasoline in their LR, I almost immediately fired back "Buy a Chevy!" But your very eloquent Ten Commandments helped me bite my tongue. Thanks pal!

Oh wait...Damn, I did it again! :)

Last edited:

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnKel said:

Cheers
John
Mid to late August I will be camping and doing some light wheeling up in the White Mountains

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JohnKel said:

Cheers
John

Did you mean to say Montrose?

Land Rover National Rally
Montrose, Colorado
August 15-18, 2007

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, they moved the dates again? Last I saw it was late Sept. Hmmm...this might make it possible for me.

We will see. I didn't decide on Moab last year until the last minute. I enjoyed the trails immensely, but there was this one trail leader that really ruined the event for me. I'm still bitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge