Premium VS Regular Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sure everyone is aware of the gas craziness on the east coast due to Hurricane Sandy. I can not get Premium gas anywhere and I have to make a decision to put regular in the vehicle. I wanted to bounce something off everyone..if I put about a 1/2 tank of regular in it for about a week....should not really cause no harm correct? Hear so many crazy stories out there. I have never used regular in any of my premium only vehicles.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, engine will adjust just fine to regular. Knock sensors will prevent any damage and you probably won't even feel the slight loss of power. I doubt anybody puts premium gas in the LR4 loaners when they refuel the gas they used and they run just fine.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries, engine will adjust just fine to regular. Knock sensors will prevent any damage and you probably won't even feel the slight loss of power. I doubt anybody puts premium gas in the LR4 loaners when they refuel the gas they used and they run just fine.

Thanks Paul...I would figure the same thing. I just hope I do not get used to putting regular in it. :)

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are better off driving less and saving your money for good gas, the octane Rover says to use so you won't carbon up your valves.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are better off driving less and saving your money for good gas, the octane Rover says to use so you won't carbon up your valves.

I got you. I was only kidding about using it all the time. I had to put some gas in it which was about 1/2 tank of regular and by then hopefully this issue will resolve itself. I do not think this one time should really affect it.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It won't hurt on rare occasions.

Last edited:

PhyrraM

Reaction score
Can you further explain the 'carbon up the valves' thing?

I can see the knock sensor pulling timing to avoid detonation or pinging, but I can't really see how it would carbon the valves?

TheDave

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing when I read the remark about "carbon up the valves."

Despite popular belief, octane rating doesn't relate to the quality of the fuel, but it's ability to detonate under compression. Higher compression motors require a fuel that can withstand the higher compression. Your knock sensor will help eliminate this with lower octane fuels. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but just thought I'd help to clear the air if anyone out there thinks otherwise.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe Dave is right. Shouldn't gunk up your valves at all. The knock sensor should compensate and you COULD experience a slight loss in power.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rover said good gas for a reason.
Yes, your knock sensors will adjust the timing to remove early detonation, but at the expense, to you of low torque, horse power and MPG.
For the few dollars a tank full you should run what is called for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72