(Probably Resolved) 2016 LR4 U0102 Lost Communication with Transfer Case Control Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
History - about 3 K miles ago the dealership replaced the transfer case on warranty.
Truck has been sitting alot since last fall because daughter is away at school.

Today I changed out the main battery and the ECO battery.
I had been getting low battery warnings and the ECO battery had been dead for at least 9 months.
Can't reset battery type, but can tell it I have a new battery (IID Tool in limited mode.)

Then, I was trying out the new IID Tool.
Lots of faults from ancient history so I just cleared them all.

Now I have the code U0102-00 (2F), Lost Communication with Transfer Case Control Module.
I clear it and it immediately comes back.
I also get a U0140-08 lost communication body control module, but this only happens at start-up, I can clear it and it goes away, but comes back at the next start-up.
I got a Gateway communication error but now it seems to gone as it is not coming back.

I have checked the contacts on the TCM and they are perfect and no evidence of any water on the module, everything looks beautiful.

And just to make things interesting.
The IID Tool is set up for my 2013 and we are discussing the 2016 here. GAP has not sent my the license for the 2016 and it has been 2 weeks now...(Update - License now received)

Should I wait until I have the 2016 license and updated IID software before I move ahead?
Any chance the 2013 IID setup just doesn't like the 2016 and everything is really ok?

Is it possible this is all because low battery warnings have been since December and the truck will take a while to figure out there is a new battery even though I told it so? Reads 12.2V when running.

Is this possible because I can't yet reset battery type? Not sure how it's set up previously and can't reset until IID Tool is fully activated.

If I did not have the IID Tool I would never know about this, so do I ignore it and hope for the best or fix it now?

Is the best route to replace the module - how do I really know this is the issue and not something else?
(New module is $300US.)

If I replace the module how do I reprogram it?

Thanks!

Last edited:

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its just a “U” code and no other issues, I’d be tempted to ignore it. Back when I was still under warranty, the dealer told me straight out that they ignore “U” codes unless there is some other “P” code or some symptom associated with it. I have a persistent “U” code on my headlight for 2+ years, something like “lost communication with headlamp module,” but I’ve never had any problem with the headlight module. Obviously, transfer case is a much more critical piece of equipment.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the HD package? If not this message may be permanent. I also have the same error message and it won’t clear. Quick google search turns up that 2016 D4’s that don’t have the HD package have the same software code as those that do, so the error fault always shows. If someone has another explanation I’m all ears but I read this on another forum.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I think I may have read that as well, but at the time I didn't understand the comment.

The 2016 LR4 HSE (purchased used), which is the issue here, indeed does NOT have the HD package (because it's not on the dash - I didn't look underneath).
So I guess then those error codes can be ignored.

The 2013 LR4 HSE LUX (purchased new), must have the HD package (because it's on the dash - I didn't look underneath).
There are no error codes.
Interestingly, this one was purchased with about 500 miles on it and I know it was used as the demo on the Rover dealership rock course.

I will consider this resolved unless someone has different information.

Thanks!

MartyG

Reaction score
I also just bought a GAP IID tool to burn a new key and reset the secondary battery (that I installed 3 years ago). The U0102-00 (2F), Lost Communication with Transfer Case Control Module is the only Code remaining that I can't clear. The above posts were helpful. I do not have the HD package which I regret. My 2003 DII and first LR4 had it and offroading was a blast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV