Problems With the LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear windshield wiper binds (at least here in the rust belt) so that it doesn't sit firmly against the window. have to spray it often with WD40 or similar to keep it working.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rear windshield hinge binds ( at least here in the rust belt). have to spray it occasionally with WD40 to keep it working well.

macrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, do you know about the feature that triggers the rear window wiper when you are in Reverse gear with the windshield wipers on? It's brilliant, but startling if you are not aware that it's intentional.

Or, if it's not that, make sure your right hand turn signal stalk is pushed all the way forward, towards the front bumper.
I read about the reverse activation but haven't seen it in action. As it may rain here for the next 3 months...I will get lots of opportunity to try this. Can't wait...cool

The Rover

Reaction score
Intermittent Radio Issue

The same day we got our LR3, I turned it off and then back on and the Radio did not work. Then, like magic, it worked again. That happened 2 more times that same day, but not since . . . . .

That's it so far. I have 200 miles on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives great, love it.

I do have another issue. Does an SE have a Auto Mirror Tilt Function when going in reverse?

THANKS!!!!:biggrin:

The Rover

Reaction score
Stats are funny

BAZMAN, are you aware that the 2005 Touareg, with 48 problems per 100 vehicles, was second only to the Lincoln Navigator and Nissan Quest (tied at 49 problems per 100 vehicles) in terms of lowest reliability by Consumer Reports?

Don't get me wrong, LR is not a manufacturer known for it's bulletproof reliability. But I would be careful about making a purchasing decision (pro or con) by trolling 'enthusiast' sites for any given vehicle. Statistically speaking, you're going to find a much higher concentration of people complaining about issues or looking for repair advice on sites such as this. On the other hand, you're also far more likely to find people willing to overlook fundamental issues just because they are so 'in love' with their vehicle. Anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence are two vastly different things.

Here's some empirical evidence I gathered that might interest you:

Number of recalls per manufacturer for all models, 1990-2007

Honda - 510
Toyota - 391
Nissan - 354
Land Rover - 120

Mind you, these are US numbers, but I'm sure I could get UK ones as well. Most of the issues we hear about are not 'engineering' issues - they are fit and finish problems. A piece of trim popping off goes into the Consumer Reports database as a 'problem'. Fit and finish problems don't get recalls from the USDOT or NHTSA. From the numbers above, you could extrapolate that when it comes to engineering fundamentals, LR is ahead of the competition. Toyota just recalled a million cars worldwide because of a flaw that could cause a total loss of steering control. Honda has recalled 562,000 cars because of a flaw that is causing the engines to cut out or fail to start altogether.

By the way, the manufacturers with the fewest recalls?

Daihatsu - 2
Mini - 6
Peugeot - 8
Lanborghini - 9

I'm not trying to change your mind - just wanted to give you a different perspective when you're researching your next vehicle. :)

That's some real good stat-work there. Wonderful post. What's your source?
When looking at those stats I'm also critically thinking that you should also consider how many vehicles are sold by each manufacturer and miles per vehicle driven per year. Lamborghini sells what? 50 cars in the US per year???!!!! (that's a guess). Out of those few Lambos how many miles ARE ACTUALLY DRIVEN PER YEAR? So, playing the percentages, the recall stats may not be as bad - or favorable, as they seem. Plus you make a good point about the definition of a "recall".

I just got an brand new 2007 LR3. I know the history and I'm ok with it. It's under warranty so, I have no worries. My dealership is rock-solid and they have cool LR3 loaners!
(When I bring my other car in for repair or service I get espresso, a giant screen TV, a simulated golf course where I can swing an actual club, computer work stations and food AND a loaner!!!)

All cars have problems. The Toyota's and Honda's are reputed to be quite reliable. If that's what you want, then fine. As for me, I want what I want and I deal with the consequences. :hello:

Last edited:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have another issue. Does an SE have a Auto Mirror Tilt Function when going in reverse?

THANKS!!!!:biggrin:
Unfortunately, no - it shows up in the information display, but it doesn't activate anything. I had the same question when I bought our LR3 :biggrin:

-Rich

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(When I bring my other car in for repair or service I get espresso, a giant screen TV, a simulated golf course where I can swing an actual club, computer work stations and food AND a loaner!!!)

Whoa - that is sweet! It almost makes you want to take your car in for service :biggrin:

-Rich

m4meister

Reaction score
We've had our loaded SE since December '04. We've put over 13K miles on it.

Love the truck and have no regrets. actually convinced 3 friends to buy one as well.

Ever since taking delivery we notice 2 annoyances with the truck.

1 - transmission jerks when coming to almost a stop and then going. You're slowing down and coming almost to a stop, but not quite (like at a stop sign), then take the foot off the brake pedal and hit the gas pedal (doesn't matter how hard or soft you step on it). The tranmission jerks. almost feels like it down shifts.
can reproduce the occurance at will. dealer has seen the problem, but has not been able to do anything about it. Since it is a minor annoyance, we'll have them look at it again at the next scheduled service.

anyone else having this problem?

2 - when the truck is running hot, like stuck in traffic on a hot day, the engine sounds like it is under full load when hitting the gas. The actual water temp gauge is reading right in the middle. we feel some power loss.
dealer "reprogrammed" the ECU and it seems better. We still experience this occasionally, but cannot reproduce it at will.
My '05 had the same problem (#1). The dealer service writer (30 years with LR) new right away it was a software issue and they fixed it. Your dealer should be able to do same, if they haven't already.

rea9390

Reaction score
LR3 Reliability Issues

Owner of a 2005 LR3 SE fully loaded now has about 36K miles. This was the first model year for the LR3 and we have not had a single problem that rendered the vehicle inoperable. The closest we had was the original compressor for the air suspension went out as it did on all early units and we had to drive it in to the dealer in a somewhat lowrider height. Just for what it's worth I've been stranded in Jeeps, Chevrolets, and Fords. The LR3 is very complex vehicle and would be a challenge for anyone to design and manufacture. The Japanese companies are just now getting their technology close to where the LR3 was in 2005.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99