Protecting Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, so I went on a heretofore-unprecedented third wheeling trip in the last month and a half, and for the third time knocked my muffler right out of the exhaust. Admittedly, part of this is probably installer error (muffler won't sit frame rails), but I'm curious: Has anyone ever looked into a "skid plate" of sorts to act as a shield to the muffler?

I'm not talking about the resonator, which on my truck is long gone to the Recycling Bin in the Sky. I want to protect the muffler from the cat back to the rear radius arms, and am looking for suggestions. :ahhhhh:

Anyone?

Andy

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not sure its good idea to shield muffler - damn thing hot as it is, and you wanna as much air to move around it as it possible, not to shield it more.. If your habbit is to knock things under there - you may consider rerouting exhaust :) Put it through the floor and roof - should help in them cold winters :)

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking some material like this (crappy MS Paint drawing, but you get the point):

Attachments

• perf.gif
    92.1 KB · Views: 121
D

discomike

Andy,
it takes a big man to admit to muffler abuse on such a frequent basis as you're experiencing.
I get into some real nasty rock gardens and waterfalls and have only acquired only one slight crease so far.
To try and shield that muffler is asking for trouble, you will generate to much up wards heat to the passanger compartment.
How about not driving such a straight line when you are out playing???
Mike J.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
Or....if you must abuse a muffler, get a Flow Master. I have seen them in conditions where it looked like someone beat it with a hammer and it still did not leak and did not change the operation of it at all

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is this: The muffler isn't being damaged. It's separating from the catalytic converter, apparently that's the weak link in the chain.

The funny thing is, I'm not beating on it (at least intentionally). All three times the muffler came off on the same stretch of earth, and it's not even anything "extreem." :biggrin: Instead, it's an area where the trail tracks get a little (~2 or 3 inches) deeper than elsewhere, and I think it's just enough to pull the muffler out of the coupling piece between it and the cat.

I would re-route it but the fiancee is already angry enough at the number of afternoons/evenings I've spent underneath the truck reassembling things. Arrrrgh! :mad:

Heat shielding above the muffler (or wrapped around?), shielding underneath. Possible solution to the heat problem?

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JJMyerz said:
I would think that would bend easy
Also, I'm not worried too much about it bending -- better to have to unbolt the shield at home and hammer it back into shape than to wait to the muffler is cool and remount the damned thing.

(I'm taking a welding class, that's the solution :biggrin: )

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello! I have not had this problem w/Rover yet, but did experience muffler woes W/other (un-named) 4x4. I covered the frame rails + 10 inches on each side from control arms to radius arms w/1 large sheet of aluminum, punched in few places w/1 1/2 to 3 inch holes & adapted to fit under vehicle. Heat was major concern but have had no problems yet. Liquid cooled by river, I guess. Haven't considered anything but Southdown for Rover yet but haven't had muffler problems. LRW

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72