Purge valve and lean/ rich code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paul Albert

Reaction score
Hi guys the local LR shop informed me that the purge valve is either sticking or needs replacing. The quoted me $750 parts plus labor
They also told me that the valve has something to do with the air/ fuel mixture. I need a smog test in order to register my 2008 Land Rover LR3
I guess the bad valve can cause the smog test failure but what do I need to fix for the lean rich fuel problem

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow that's an expensive part.

Looks like an easy $400 diy if you want to save some $.

Can you share your engine fault codes?

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PO171 system-too lean bank 1
PO174 system too lean bank 2

have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor (or swapping a good one with a buddy to test) or tried cleaning the throttle body and resetting the TB adaptations?

Paul Albert

Reaction score
I just cleaned the MAF
I’ll drive and scan. hopefully the codes will not show fault

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you tried cleaning the MAF sensor (or swapping a good one with a buddy to test) or tried cleaning the throttle body and resetting the TB adaptations?

PO171 system-too lean bank 1
PO174 system too lean bank 2
Those codes I almost regard as normal. I suppose I should not think that way but I often see one or the other when I review the codes.

Showing both at the same time seems to set off the engine check light, (or it was something else). I had that situation sometime back so I installed new spark plugs - was about time, (had eighty thousand miles on them). Now I only see about one of those trouble codes at a time.

I replaced MAF and Crankcase Vent valve back in 2015 at 210,000 km (130,000 miles) not because there was any apparent problem but it just seemed like a good idea.

I do that sometimes - replace OK stuff, the excuse being preventative maintenance.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I posted elsewhere but I put a can of BG44K in having the same codes and at just over half a tank the CE light went off on it's own and has been off for the remainder of the tank. I just filled up a few minutes ago and the light is still off. I can't believe it. And BByer, I too replace stuff preventively. Great minds think alike.

Anthony Roote

Reaction score
Hi Paul,

What engine do you have?

Mine was doing something similar. I have the V6 petrol. Took ages to track down but it was a bad egr/map sensor (it's a combined unit) part number LR012028. Worth checking and easy to do yourself. I won't tell you how much other stuff was done before that because it's embarrassing.

Good luck.

steveC101

Reaction score
I had those codes for the best part of a year, in which time I tried most suggested fixes. I finally discovered the oil filler cap was loose by about 1/4 turn. No more codes and engine light has been on since. That was in May.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72