Query about approaching flooded dips in off roads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I've been driving around in lots of sand roads behind the dunes in NC. Many of them are flooded at their lower points from a storm a few weeks ago. It's not salt water.

Anyways, I know the standard stuff about how to approach these by looking for familiar landmarks, trying to go on the outside, looking for other tire tracks that have gone through, gauging depth with a stick, etc. I'm not willing to actually wade thru the stuff yet ;) So far I haven't found one that the car can't handle, but I feel like I'm going in too fast, in an attempt to ensure I dont get stuck in the middle.

What happens is I'll go down one of these (typically switching from hi range sand mode to low range mud/ruts) before. Then I go in slow and hit the gas and then the road really dips, my front end drops suddenly as it gets deeper (frequently causing a rush of water to come over the top of the hood (and into the car once as I had my back windows down - that was extra fun) accompanied by a little smoke from the water hitting the hot engine) and then I'll end up on the incline back out and that's when I breath out. It all feels a little too violent to me on the car. And really the water isn't that deep (maybe up to 16-20", it's just that it can get deep fast.

I haven't been able to watch other cars go through these nor have had any experience going through - but I just feel like I need to power through it and I'm thinking I should be going much slower.

I'm sort of answering my own question on this as I type, but I'll post it anyways. I should be going through the water more slow and steady versus 'all quick like just to get in and out fast' ;)

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I was taught that if there's any chance of getting stuck while fording an unfamiliar puddle or stream, you should get out and walk it beforehand. Getting wet is a good trade for having to have your vehicle towed out and resuscitated.

As far as the speed: when you are pushing through the water, the truck will push a wave in front of the nose. Behind that wave there will be a trough. You want to gauge your speed so that you don't overtake the wave, and keep the trough behind the wave at the middle of your engine compartment. Have I explained that clearly?

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it bad then when the water comes over the top of the hood of the car? Is the idea to create the perfect wake outwards?

Feels easy if you are crossing a stream, but more difficult when you are confronted with a road that has an unknown depth and a sudden drop of murky waters. I actually did get out and look at the stream. I saw 2 pieces of bumper so I backed off.

I get the 'wade yourself first idea'. But I really want to not get out and get into the mud for now. Especially since I see these things every 2 minutes. I have a feeling the LR4 is going to perform fine in every case where I am right now. It's just the not knowing.

I do like the idea of going in and 'anticipating' the wave, so that it flows in front instead of into the engine.

But just to confirm the LR4 can handle a wave of water over the hood for a few seconds, am I right?

-W

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Willie,

The "wave" is for more of a sustained drive through the water. Like crossing a river or shallow lake. The type of transition you are talking about is a little different as it lasts for only a few yards at best.

Here are my thoughts on your questions:

I think you might be driving in too fast or accelerating too much while in the water. When entering the water that is only 16"-20" deep, you may get a little splash on the hood but not a rush of water that sweeps over the hood.

I know you don't really want to get out and check the depth of each of these, but I'm sure you would really hate it if you had to crawl out your window if you were to get stuck in the middle of one. Trust me, I had this happen to me on another vehicle and it sucks. If you were to have a better bottom surface to drive on, I wouldn't get out for the transitions. Water over a sand base is not a great combination to deal with. You have the added resistance of the water on the truck and now you throw in a loose base to drive on. I can totally see why you are getting in and out of these transitions as fast as you can. I too would be worried about gettign stuck.

I actually have to admire you, Willie. Most people wouldn't even try this stuff with an SUV, let alone the fact that yours in very new and it costs $60K. It's awesome that you are out using it like it was designed to be used. As for me, the next few months will be without any offroad time. About the only thing mine will see duty for is transporting my mountain bike to the trail head and driving in a feild to get pumpkins.

Good luck and it sounds like you are having a blast!

Rob

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I'm with Rob. Awesome that you are using your car for big-time offroading. But I think you're playing with fire.

I don't have an LR4. I have a Defender and used to have a Disco. So for your purposes I can only speak in generalities about wading. Except for this: the specified maximum wading depth of the LR4 is 27.5 inches with the suspension raised. The high water mark is well under the edge of the hood, and more importantly, below the side air intake.

People wade their trucks deeper than the specified depth all the time. But they do so with knowledge and preparation. I don't know if the LR4 needs wading plugs or axle breather tubes (I doubt it needs the wading plug) but on many LR models those things are required. Serious water dogs will protect their electrical systems by packing all the electrical connectors with dielectric grease. They know where all the processors are in the car, and drive in such a way as to keep them dry. They know from personal experience or anecdotal reports what points in the firewall are likely to allow water into the cabin, and will fortify the grommets or gaskets with silicone sealant accordingly. In extreme cases, a bib is put over the grill, and door seams are taped.

You can find photos of diesel Defenders wading with the hood under water. My truck has manually adjusting seats, window cranks on the doors, manual door locks, etc. If those components get wet, the most that will be required is a little lubrication. On the other hand, the LR4 has dozens, maybe hundreds of electrical components that if immersed in water will fail.

So get busy with the grease, find out where all the processors and other sensitive components are. The LR3/4 hasn't been around long enough to accumulate a lot of information about where leaks are likely to occur. Hopefully you won't find yourself in a position to contribute knowledge in that area.

I've always liked this one:

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

vivaldi1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rob and Captain Spalding!

Advice taken! I'm in the middle of nowhere (can't even get the car washed) so no dielectric grease around here, nor time for me to figure out how to use it and where to put it (and most importantly where NOT to put it) as I'm not yet a gearhead with this machine. My specialty is computers.

And, it might be ironic, but I'm feeling adventurous precisely because I paid $60k for this vehicle. If I just wanted a nice SUV, I would have probably gotten a Lexus. So, I want to get my money's worth. I'm not worried at all about resale value. I plan to beat this car up. I keep thinking maybe I should have bought an LR4 AND an older discovery. The latter to get experience with. I just need to learn to be more gentle and plan more I suppose.

Today I went to the beach and was not so adventurous. I mostly drove on the beach and only went to the dunes whose puddles I was familiar with. I actually went into one very slow and steady (one of the ones that previously caused a rush of water over the hood) and it was a decidedly different experience. Almost humbling. Going fast made it seem like a monster hole, going slow and steady made it feel like the easily crossable 18" puddle it was.

Attached are a few images from today. You can see the flooded 'roads' between dunes. The second one I went through and at it's deepest it was probably 16" only. And the last shot of the wild Mustang on the dune at sunset is why it's all worth the fun ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0660.jpg
    IMG_0660.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0663.jpg
    IMG_0663.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Forum statistics