Question for those with Compomotive wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

floda

Reaction score
hi lr4tq

it is a original roof rack from land rover for the lr4.
i removed the railing - not much work but after it's done much more space.
( wasn't my idea - i saw it on a lr3 in the net)
the lamps come from rigid industries. in front i use the rigid duals - 13000 lumens make night to day - if they are all switch on they use as much energy as the hazard flasher on the lr4. in the rear i use to smaller lamps but also from rigid.
i leaded the wiring through the snorkel

okay - many regard
adi

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great idea...! I have always been partial to the lower profile racks and the LR3/4 racks are some of the tallest in stock form. That rack is also somewhat lighter than the steel racks, so it won't affect the body roll as much. I also think the factory weight rating is very conservative for the stock rack.

floda

Reaction score
rack

i think the same way - the only disadvantage with the original roof rack
is that you have to have the roof rail mounted - you get it here in austria
just as an option...$$$$$
regards
adi

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
floda - thanks for the info...your truck looks amazing.

discotwinturbo

Reaction score
I keep my factory rims for around town, and when I head out bush or the beach, or put my offroad rubber on. I use Cooper LTZ 285/60-18. Slight rub on full lock..very slight. Huge difference offroad.
On road I still run LLAMS at -20.
Brett....

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am still researching tires. I think what the plan is... I may keep the crap OE tires on the 19" rims and replace those when warn with something very summer/street friendly later. And then I will order some compo 18" and put some type of A/T tire that is more aggressive and mean looking (black compo on fuji white) and get the largest size that will fit in my spare well. I plan to get a set of 5 I think. My requirement though is that it be pretty good in snow and ICE. It will be a bonus if its decent off road. That way I **** two birds with one set of tires. Snow/Ice season and off road fun.

I've been gathering data from you guys, here are my notes.

1. 275/60R18 Yoko Geolandar AT-S 31" Spare fits, no deflate (user=umbertob)
2. 265/60/18 Maxxis Bravo 771 30.5" Spare should fit, no mention from user (user=LR4TQ)
3. 285/60-18 Cooper LTZ . 31.6" Slight rub on full lock..very sligh (user=discotwinturbo)
4. P265/60R18 Wrangler SilentArmor 30.5" Good in snow and ice, quite, look good.
5. P265/65R18 Wrangler SilentArmor 31.5"

I guess the question is, do 31.5" fit into the spare well? Or is 31" the max? I'd rather not deflate if I dont need to.

EDIT:
From the compomotive email:
"The 265/65R18 is not common over there, except for the BFG KO AT, which is available in that size. This size will fit in the spare wheel-well, but only if deflated to 10psi. It will rub very slightly inside the front of the rear wheel-well at full compression."... so thats 31.5 on the wranglers.. so maybe 31" is the max?

I guess I should just ask umbertob directly if trimming is required or rub is an issue. I don't have any height controller yet. (I may do that at some point, but don't want to run it at another height day to day to compensate for tires. I think it probably rides the best and aligned at stock settings)

I was also going to order an RLD spare protector, but I wonder if that is necessary. I would have 18" and 19" wheels so im not sure an 18" RLD spare protector would work on a 19" wheel.. maybe it would.

Any input?

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZs on my 2006 RRS. I liked them so much, I went through 3 sets with that car. As mentioned above, there is very slight rubbing under full compression or steering lock (rubbing may be a bit worse in the rear wheel well of the LR4 if you have the 7-seater, as I have read that some refrigerant lines from the rear A/C unit run over one of the two rear wheel wells and reduce clearances a bit in there.) After 10-15K thousand miles, as the tread wears a bit, the rubbing will no longer be an issue. The spare must be almost fully deflated however, and the heat shield between spare wheel and exhaust needs to be removed to insure the spare will winch up in the well - and come down when you need it.

That may not that big of a deal to you if you carry a compressor with you at all times (I do), but the TPMS will need to be reprogrammed not to monitor the spare wheel - it can easily be done via diagnostics - to eliminate annoying warnings that your spare tire is low every time you start the car. Also, be aware that the Coopers get quite noisy as they wear, by the time they are 50% worn or so (in my experience they will last 40/50K miles) the rumble will make you think something's wrong with your differentials.

There are many other good A/T tires available in that same size (Nitto Terra Grapplers and Dune Grapplers, Toyo Open Country A/T just two that pop to mind.)

If you are willing to oversize anyway, the 265/65R18 BFG T/A KO is still the standard among A/Ts, tough as nails and grabby off road and competent on it (except on mud and packed snow/ice, same limitation as most A/Ts out there.) They are known to last and last. You will have the same problem fitting the spare - may be a bit more challenging actually, as the E-rated sidewall of the BFG is not as flexible as lesser/softer compounds from other brands. They're fairly noisy on pavement. And of course, they cost a pretty penny, 20/40% more than the competition.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
285/60R18 in a cooper zeon is 31.50". umbertob(you, lol, didnt read who posted that) has 31" but says the spare fits with no deflation.(right?) Im not against fitting a compressor, but I'd rather not have to mess with that. So, maybe that .5" is the difference.

I am still favoring P265/60R18 Wrangler SilentArmor 30.5"... that is a full inch undersized from what you have, but im not sure if its worth going to 265/65r18 in the wranglers to match that diameter. Those SilentArmor get great reviews on tirerack and actually have the mountain/snowflake symbol to identify they meet industry severe snow service standards. I have to get something that works as a snow/ice tire.

So many choices. At the very least I will have put some good info on the forums about this stuff for others. An important note: you have to find the specs for the exact tire to find the sizes, the ***/xxrxx wont tell you alone, tires vary by a half inch or more between brands and models of tires.

Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to pay more attention. I didnt look at the last posting to see who posted, lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM