questions from (soon to be) new LR owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
questions from (soon to be) new LR3 owner

ive been jones'n for an LR3 for a long time. everyone i talk to has tried to talk me out of it. i think its a good looking vehicle and dont like the looks of anything else (other than the range rovers/sports). im pretty much dead-set on one.

i have a few questions though. one im looking at (2008 SE - 52k) only has 1 key. i always like a back-up. dealer says it costs $400. any way to get one cheaper?

im also looking into the Ford ESP Premium extended warrranty, bc i keep reading/hearing how expensive these cars are to fix. this still the best warranty out there? 5 year/60k costs $3800 as of today's quote. going through this forum...still not sure is suspention is covered?

also..do you have to run premium gas (93) or can you use 87 / 89?

any help is appreciated. i will have many more questions im sure. thanks for your help!

i want this damn car!

ps...the one im wanting to buy is currently replacing a cracked sun roof - $1200 expense. i dont think the warranty would cover this kind of thing does it?

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think they price can be reduced by the price of the key, as the value is calculated based on what it is worth, it is worth less without 2 keys.

The engine is designed to run on premium fuel, too bad we can't get it without ethanol.

08 52k, what warranty, how much off road action did it see, how are the bushings, suspension, roll bar.

How are the diffs, if the oil hasn't been change (first dealer recommended service is 75k. Have they been changed)

The warranty is a crap shoot. It depends on if they pricing with warranty is within reasonable book value on the vehicle.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
I would think they price can be reduced by the price of the key, as the value is calculated based on what it is worth, it is worth less without 2 keys.

The engine is designed to run on premium fuel, too bad we can't get it without ethanol.

08 52k, what warranty, how much off road action did it see, how are the bushings, suspension, roll bar.

How are the diffs, if the oil hasn't been change (first dealer recommended service is 75k. Have they been changed)

The warranty is a crap shoot. It depends on if they pricing with warranty is within reasonable book value on the vehicle.

you really think its worthless without two keys? i def dont like the idea of having a spare! they say they arent going to pay for another one but they will def have to come down on the price. asking $26,200 now for '08 LR3 SE black/tan interior with 52k. seems like a decent price.

one owner...i havent even seen the vehicle. id travel to test drive them both.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not worthless just Worth Less. They should come off the asking if it is missing parts, like $400.00 special keys (not including dealer programming, which is required :albertein

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine runs fine on 87 and has for years. 93 is only recommended but not required according to the fuel filler door. I'd make sure the bushings are done. One way you might be able to avoid the $400 is getting the shell on ebay, and then have the dealer cut/program it.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, the delta in gas prices is not a deal breaker. In my case, what is the extra it costs me a year in gas to buy Super vs. Regular? ...it is usually 10 cents more for Premium and 20 cents more for Super- $4 difference per 20 gallon tank. On average I fill up once a week...so $200 a year to drive a truck I like with the gas it prefers.

You can split the difference and cut the $ in half if you just use Premium instead of Super. (10 cents more per gallon)

That extended warranty is a tough call...if you are seeing almost $6K for a warranty to 100K...that's a lot. I had an extended warranty and was glad I did, but it didn't save me $6K in repairs, it probably saved me $3-4K which is about twice what I paid for it. (I bought it a long time ago).

Best bet is to find yourself an independent shop that works on Land Rovers who you can trust. That will save you a lot of money. If your only option is dealer service, than yes, I'd consider a warranty.

You are going to want a spare key.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...are you SURE you're ready for LR3 ownership, NewRover? It's a commitment!

ddvelin

Reaction score
I went through the same thing earlier this year, everybody tried to talk me out of it, saying how much work Landy's are to maintain and fix. Well, so far, i LOVE it. I've had no issues, other than 14mpg. I've got 99K on my 2005, but it looks like she will run for as long as I want. I'm amazed to see so many Disco's out and about--Landy's sure last, so I'm not exactly sure where the maintenance nightmare is.

Join us, is it more fun over here!

NewRover2008

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. i know i want the vehicle. im just kind of picky and tired of hearing all the negative stuff from friends/family/mechanics. maybe i should be more patient and wait for the right one. im thinking current mileage is more important than age at this point, bc i will get the warranty. alos hearing that salt from the roads up north is a concern. any experience with that? ligitimate concern from rust from salt from them if they came from new york for example (like the one im looking at)?

i was deadset on black...but i like the whites and silvers on the ones pre '09....the black trim shows up good on them and looks badass. :)

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My suggestion, if you're definitely looking pre-owned, look in Florida and Texas. We bought our '06 HSE LR3 in Florida. All it ever seen was flat highway. The interior was immaculate and the exterior showed the typical highway chips. I looked all over underneath it and there wasn't a tell-tale sign that it had seen anything more than a dirt road. The winters aren't harsh in those areas and there is no salt on the roads.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9