questions from (soon to be) new LR owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not "negativity" it's just going in eyes wide open. I love my Rover and would never think of being without it...or at least without a Land Rover. ...but I am not going to deceive myself or anyone else; I've booked about $20,000 in maintenance over my 7 years of ownership. Luckily, most of it was warranty or Geico MBI covered. The rest was scheduled maintenance or wear/tear.

Also, I off-road mine. If I didn't, I would be less convinced I should keep it.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
So what was the final verdict? Did you end up with one?
Had mine for about 16 months now and couldn't be happier, but I do agree with Houm, if you have no desire to go off road...you might be better suited in something else. Otherwise, you won't find a better camping/trail riding vehicle.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
i got the '09. i love it! looks and drives great! ill have plenty questions im sure. too tired to type much. working on few hours sleep and drove 8 hours today i think. rides like a dream so far and is f'n beautiful!!!

NewRover2008

Reaction score
and btw.... i drove the '09 into the lot of the '08 one (the one i discussed in original post) to compare some things. 08 has nav and refrig, but had the issues described and the black 09 w/ black interior looked like Secretariot. it also has some warranty left.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
last night (less than 24h since i bought the car), i cranked it in the garage and the engine was reved up really high. it was idling but sounded far to high to put in gear and back out. i didnt notice the rpm at the time. i tapped the gas once or twice (like i used to do my 1978 ford ltd when this happened) and it idled down. hasnt done it again in 4-5 cranks since.

anyone have any ideas about what this could have been?

thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the tach next time and let us know what RPMs we're talking about. Pretty normal for it to rev high for a minute on initial start-up.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does that. When I first start it from a cold engine, it'll idle probably around 1k, give or take 200. Then in settles back into the 500-600 range.

NewRover2008

Reaction score
Look at the tach next time and let us know what RPMs we're talking about. Pretty normal for it to rev high for a minute on initial start-up.

ill pay attentin next time (hopefully there isnt one). it rev'd high yesterday, but not very long and came down by itself. the first time it didnt seem that it would rev down (was reved high for 10 seconds or so)....so i tapped the gas and then it finally did.

i had put 89 octane gas in it. wonder if that had anything to do with it? ill use 93 from now on, as little as im driving it.

thanks for replies. this thing drives GOOD!

Earing2008

Reaction score
I've noticed it's not so much the engine but the fan speed. With the viscious fan clutches they take a few seconds, sometimes longer, to get the fluids flowing and drop down to idle fan speeds. We've also got a pretty decent sized V8 so all-in-all it takes a little bit for the things to settle down, even on warm days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9