Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
OK, I've read the manual but I don't see/missed the answers to these questions or they don't exist in the manual (2012 HSE):

- Where is the sensor to control the auto headlights? Is it the little dome in the middle of the dash by the center speaker or is it the LEDs behind the rearview mirror (which I've assumed were the auto wiper sensors)?

- Has anyone covered the sensor for the auto headlights to create full time day running lights?

- I have a "Trip A" feature for mileage, MPG, average speed, etc.; is there a "Trip B?"

- My computed MPG is always way more optimistic than my hand calculated MPG. What gives?

NWLRFan

Reaction score
I know the day time running lights are not on by default for north America but that the dealer can turn them on for you rather than the work around you are thinking of.
It does seem the computer is always 2-3 mpg for optimistic than real life. Who knows why.

AceRider

Reaction score
Good to know. When activiated, does the headlight switch need to be in the "auto" position or do the running lights just turn on when the ignition is on?

I like the ability to turn the lights off; do you lose that ability if they activate daytime running lights?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rain / light sensor (it does double duty for auto wipers and auto headlights) is behind the rear view mirror. The one on the dash by the center speaker is a sun position sensor for the A/C system. So, to cover the headlights sensor and force the headlights on you'd have to tape that section of the windshield.

Trip A, Trip B and Trip Auto can be selected and reset (the Auto trip resets automatically each time you start the ignition) with the OK button on the RH of the steering wheel, then scroll down and select Trip Computer.

My calculated MPG is only slightly optimistic now, after a period of adjustment. However, my daily driving routine and pattern is pretty repetitive, which probably accounts for how accurate the computer has become.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As other said above, you can have the daytime running lights activated at the dealership, but it basically turns on the low beams and LED accent lights. If you want just the accent lights and the side parking lights (or whatever they are) on while you drive, then you need to turn the knob ONE (1) click to the right, that will turn on ONLY the LEDs, the side lights, and part of the rear LEDs. You need to do this manually everytime you drive, but it just becomes habit. I tend to turn them on quite a bit myself. I don't want the DRLs activated at the dealership. I actually like to control my lights manually, so I don't keep them on auto.

-David

AceRider

Reaction score
What exactly are the side lights? I have a notice on my dash for them, but when I walk around the car, there are no side lights. There are indicator lights (on the door, I think?), but they only activate when signaling.

Is there maybe a difference between Base/HSE models and LUX models?

NWLRFan

Reaction score
What exactly are the side lights? I have a notice on my dash for them, but when I walk around the car, there are no side lights. There are indicator lights (on the door, I think?), but they only activate when signaling.

Is there maybe a difference between Base/HSE models and LUX models?

I think on the LR4s there were sidelights for just the first year in 2010 but were removed for 2011 onward. The manual was likely never updated is my guess.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think on the LR4s there were sidelights for just the first year in 2010 but were removed for 2011 onward. The manual was likely never updated is my guess.
Yes, the 2010 non-Lux LR4s did not have the LED signature lighting, but rather had those corner lights (a few people on the forum replaced them with LEDs). I am not sure exactly what lights on the 2011-onward are on when I put on ONLY the LED signature lights (one click to the right on the light knob). It is not the indicator lights under the side view mirrors, it's some side light on the headlights. I'll take a photo when I can.

AceRider

Reaction score
I know the day time running lights are not on by default for north America but that the dealer can turn them on for you rather than the work around you are thinking of.

I just dropped off for service (2012 HSE) and learned that they CANNOT activate daytime running lights; evidently they've been asked this before and there is no ability.

Can you tell me wich year are you referring to, which model, and if you've had it done, what dealer, because mine said in no uncertain terms that it's not possible?

AceRider

Reaction score
As other said above, you can have the daytime running lights activated at the dealership, but it basically turns on the low beams and LED accent lights. If you want just the accent lights and the side parking lights (or whatever they are) on while you drive, then you need to turn the knob ONE (1) click to the right, that will turn on ONLY the LEDs, the side lights, and part of the rear LEDs. You need to do this manually everytime you drive, but it just becomes habit. I tend to turn them on quite a bit myself. I don't want the DRLs activated at the dealership. I actually like to control my lights manually, so I don't keep them on auto.

-David

I have a 2012 HSE, and here's what I get:

- One click right turns on ONLY orange lights at the corners of the vehicle, not LEDS or any other lights
- Two clicks is headlights on, including LEDs and main bulb
- Three clicks is AUTO headlights, which come on when sensors determine low light levels, and includes LEDs, main beams, and maybe the orange corner lights, but I can't recall.
- There may be one more setting, but I can only think of three.
- I have no side lights, just turn signals under the mirrors.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112