Quick Compressor Replacement Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the fuses the first time I checked the system, but simply left it this time. I'll pull the fuses again and re-check, but it's on level ground and has completely fallen over night. That said, the first time I checked it, the driver's front fell a decent amount, and the passenger front also dropped, just a little less and a little slower than the driver's side.

While it's possible both front air struts could have failed, I'm more inclined to suspect the valve block.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I did the compressor roughly 4 years ago. Again, all with “OE LR parts”.

Winegrower

Reaction score
Learning from a group of educated friends and having worked on my own Newell motorhome which has a large pneumatic system the consensus is to avoid teflon tape when working on the pneumatics because it can fracture off pieces of tape and clog valves. Loctite makes a liquid pneumatic/hydraulic sealant called 545 which is made specifically for this type application.Loctite 545 from Amazon There is a guy on Ebay that sells 20mls less expensively for the budget minded.

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after 10ish years, 100K miles, and a ton of mods to the system, I am starting to get my first suspension faults when it is cold outside, so I think I am just going to replace the compressor and valve blocks in hopes of getting another decade of solid service from them.

Having not done this job before, I'm curious. Does a replacement compressor come with a new dryer assembly as part of the compressor, or does it need to be purchased separately?

Anything besides compressor, dryer, and the 3 valve blocks I should be replacing while I have it apart?

And pre-emptively, coil spring guys, just save your time. I love the air suspension, and after what I have put this truck through, I think 10 years of trouble-free service is fantastic.
HAHA - Looks like I found my answer. You're right. "I love the air suspension, and after what I have put this truck through,
I think 10 years of trouble-free service is fantastic."

That is exactly how I would sum it up!

Last edited:

San Moritz LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted on how you're able to swap compressors. I saw one video where the bracket didn't need to be removed if replacing like-for-like, but the Powerful UK guys pulled the entire bracket first. I'm in the same boat with a 2012, though when I posted a pic to ID mine, I was told it's Hitachi. I hope so b/c I want to carry a spare when out in the boonies in case the unthinkable happens.
My compressor gave up the ghost today. Having a CPO 2012 LR4 HSE with 178,500 miles, I am pretty satisfied with the overall life of the compressor. I had Newport Beach Land Rover dealer run my VIN and I was informed that my compressor is a Hitachi compressor as well. Did you guys end up replacing all 3 valve block assemblies? Also, I spoke with an LR technician at the dealership, says the air bags rarely ever fail. Would you all tend to agree with that statement?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with an LR technician at the dealership, says the air bags rarely ever fail. Would you all tend to agree with that statement?
No. I say this after replacing one of my front air struts that failed catastrophically on a trail.

116k miles or so on it.

However, I do off road it a bit and I’m confident if it was only driven on the street that I wouldn’t have had this issue this early on.

Longtrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor gave up the ghost today. Having a CPO 2012 LR4 HSE with 178,500 miles, I am pretty satisfied with the overall life of the compressor. I had Newport Beach Land Rover dealer run my VIN and I was informed that my compressor is a Hitachi compressor as well. Did you guys end up replacing all 3 valve block assemblies? Also, I spoke with an LR technician at the dealership, says the air bags rarely ever fail. Would you all tend to agree with that statement?
I serviced my three valve blocks (cleaned them out, added new o'rings and silicon greased the o'rings), other than the o'rings I'm not sure what can be done or why the valve blocks would fail; I don't see how the parts could wear excessively to need replacement? Perhaps the solenoids? You may be able to save some $ here?

I swapped a cheap Amazon compressor for an AMK; reflashing the RLM ECU for AMK rather than a Hitachi compressor resolved my suspension fault errors!

I can't comment on the air bags, mine appear to be original from 2012.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA