radiator fill plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My radiator fill plug reached the end of it's life expectancy today. (96 disco) The head of the plug broke off leaving the hollow (hollow to the size of a pencil) threaded section still in the radiator. Any idea how to get it out? Part cost about $2.00 but dealer wants it towed there so the can fix it next wednesday.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would use an easy out or similar. Pick up at most auto parts or hardware stores.... do not replace it with another plastic one...

Spend the $10 and buy the brass version. Can be bought through most online Rover Shops... give Nathan a call at www.discountbritishparts.com I am sure he can get one to you fast.

Mark

Reaction score
A Story to ponder.

Now this happened just a few weeks ago to lady at work. I managed to remove the plug that night, put fluid in the radiator and checked the level. I had a two dollar LR plug onhand for myself.
[After that night, price damned, I bought a brass plug.]

Well....the rest of the story, at least what I think may of happened.

She had complained of the air conditioner working intermittently for a week prior to the incident and started driving without the AC. When she used the AC, the engine overheated.

Then bam!, while pulling into her driveway the radiator cap blew its top.

A few days later she complained about the engine overheating again, checked the fluid and filled up again. She took it to a shop and a leak was found in the radiator. The viscous whatchamacallit was not working.

She replaced the viscous/radiator/thermostat. Runs fine now.

So... Did the viscous fan stop working forcing the radiator to overheat and blow the top or was that coincidence.

Either way, she is now running (the rover) and is happy again.

Best advice to receive from this web forum -- Buy a brass plug now. Why protect a $4000 engine with a $2.00 part.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Joey.. I gave it a shot but had less than desirable results. The cap is still stuck... there is just less of it now, might even find some after I flush out the radiator. Any other suggestions.. It appears like it is almost fused in its place.

Mark interesting post.... I have had intermittent use of my AC for a while now. It was having what I considered to be its normal AC spasm just prior to blowing the cap, I suppose this is quickly becoming a dealer problem?? What did you friend have fixed again?

Thanks again
neill

Mark

Reaction score
The cap is not fused, it just looks ugly and that is what plastic looks like when it fails in tension.. I used a very sharp screwdriver and cut at four quadrants to remove the plastic plug. Then I had to cut an additional two places to *peel* the plug out of the radiator. I also had help, catching the bits and pieces as they were removed. It took about twenty minutes. Just be careful and not to damage the soft threads underneath.

A local repair shop did the work (NC).

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The viscous as you put it is the fan clutch... just the technical term for it.

I do my best not to get to technical unless asked... Makes life easier for those who may not know the names.

Plus most kids at the auto parts store have no clue what the real name is for parts anyways.

Mark

Reaction score
Calling it the viscous gets you to the AB part nomenclature, then the part number.

Some places on the web, where we order are parts, refer to it as the viscous fan clutch. This just makes it easier to locate the whatchamacallit online or in a catalog.

FFNPMcD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did finally manage to get the plug out..Took quite a bit of work..it was stuck in there quite good.
Flushed the radiator and installed new fill cap.
so far working like a charm.. Not sure if I should invest to replace fan clutch how will I know when it is going bad?

Thanks for your help

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you can free spin the fan with the engine hot or cold.... it is bad.

adgunn94

Reaction score
Ive discovered in the last few weeks, that Rover cooling systems are EXTREMELY picky. My fan clutch on my 94 Disco was shot, and in town driving w/ a/c threatened to roast my engine. I replaced the entire mechanical unit with a $65 Autozone electrical fan 16". That has helped my cooling situation. Im looking to replace the 2 other fans that go to my condenser. they dont flow that much air to the radiator, im wondering if i can fit another
16" fan in the front to help the cooling that much better. it works alrite now in town, but if it sits running for more than 15 minutes it starts to get hot. and suggestions?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4