Radio/CD aftermarket replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Discosid

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I’m considering replacing the radio cassette player in my 94 D1 and putting in an aftermarket radio CD. I don’t want to prat around with a change’s, coz I’ve had them before and they just don’t suit the way I listen to music CD. I would rather be able to change CD at the unit when I want.
Questions
Is this doable?
What units would be good.
Will any unit do? IE a half decent unit for Best Buy $100 or so.
Are there LR amps etc that I need to deal with??
Should I not even go there?

Any help would be great.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what year vehicle you have but I put a Kenwood in mine because mine was bad and the dealer knew a car stereo place, he gave me $400 coupon to the place... that would have included install but I knew I could do it myself so I upgraded. For my Disco I, it was just a wire to wire match like any vehicle..just get a wiring diagram for you year... someone may have one, I don't. I have installed a few systems, but this one took me about 1 hr.

D

discoskc

Sid,

I am in a similar position as you are. So I will be watching this thread closely.

My 95 Disco needs new sub-woofer and radio.

SKC
------------
95 Disco
68K Miles

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not added any more subs to my system although it doesn't look really difficult... this page (bottom of page) shows the wiring diagrams and good places to pigtail for adding/replacing subs:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/rover/discosubs.htm

Unless I am just lucky, I found the stereo wiring to be pretty straight forward, it isn't tied into anything else.... I think what can get tricky is replacing a unit that is stock, where it has safety features that need to be programmed. Adding an aftermarket system doesn't require any programming, atleast not for a D1
...if you add a whole lot of power then you may start blowing fuses, but typically aftermarket stuff run fuses inline

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink