Radio repair?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a radio repair shop where I can mail a 96 Discovery radio to have it looked at? It does not respond to the security code so it stays locked. I can buy a working used one for around $200 so maybe it isn't even worth pursuing having this one looked at. Mike

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact the radio link in my signature section and see what their rates are.

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Mike,
Are you sure the code is not working as opposed to being entered in the incorrect manner? I have to enter my code every time I disconnect the battery and have to enter the code multiple times until I get the correct order of button pressing. I believe, I have found that I have to wait several hours, after installing the battery, and then enter the code. I live in AZ and contacted Scottsdale Land Rover and they provided me the code, based upon my VIN (that is presuming you have the original radio installed).

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
We removed the radio and gave Land Rover the serial number from the radio to make sure we had the correct code. But the 5 digit number does not unlock the radio no matter how I enter it. The manual says to turn the radio on and simply press the correct sequence of numbers. I always get a 'beep' upon entering the last digit and the word "Code" remains in the display. I am left with no other conclusion but that the radio has some other problem than the code not being entered.

The radio repair shop Disco Mike showed me said they could reprogram the raido at the chip level for $159 plus shipping. I am still pondering whether I want to do that or put that money towards a more modern unit with cd player built in and Sirius ready. :)

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Mike,
I believe you have to leave the key in the on/acc position for a few minutes without touching anything, then press the 5 digits. I believe that is how mine worked. I was afraid of the new battery dying but it didn't. I was thinking that there may be some type of capacitor that gets charged up to hold the code and allow it to match what ever is programmed in the radio... If you have the original radio and the correct code, $159 is too much, in my opinion. I got very frustrated but it finally worked.

Bj

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
I will tinker with it some more. I appreciate the advice. The fact that the radio doesn't work really irritates my son more than me. I am more appreciative that the car gets me there and back without incident.:)

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
I don't use my radio much either but I don't like having things not work...good luck. Since I will be working on my LR this weekend, I may disconnect my battery and document the process to reset it, since I know my code works. If I do, I will share it with you.

Bj

Mike Perrin

Reaction score
It works:) This forum saved me some money. After what was said here and researching other related threads I tried entering the code three times and no worky. I then left the power and radio on for about an hour and a half, came back turned the radio off then right back on, entered the code and it works. If Land Rover had given that one critical piece of information in the manual (leaving the power and radio on for the hour it says to wait) it would have been much easier to do this. Thanks to this forum the problem is solved.:) Thanks again, Mike

1997LRLSE

Reaction score
Mike,
Glad it works. I am copying and printing that solution to keep in my vehicle. I have had the problem at least twice and forgot the process each time. The second time, I just let the vehicle sit overnight and was able to reset it the next day. I really think there is some type of capacitor that needs time to recharge so it can hold the state of the radio in an operable mode, and is why you need to leave the radio on for a while...

Bj

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635