Re: ignition switch/tumbler lube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joey (or anyone else who might know this);

What can I use to get a bit of 'scratchiness' from out of my ignition switch's tumbler (Disco 1997, SE7 - mit der autotranz)? I am thinking a dry graphite type of lube - what say you? My concern being I do not want the lube to short anything.

A little more info: - it turns, no problem, but it feels like its dry or needs a bit of lube at a certain point. I do not want this to deteriorate as new ignition switchs cost around $569.00 USD so, obviously, I want to keep this one happy.

Wolf

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing, I thought about the graphite, but was concerned about build up. Nothing really in there to short out...

What I have done is take some light weapons oil and put on the key and turn the ignition a few times. Repeat 4 or 5 times and so far it is still working well.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to use a high pressure air nozzle and blow out the tumbler are before try to lube it. I would also suggest you call a dealer, get your key code number and have a new on made since yours is 12 years old and pretty warn out, this will slow down any additional wear.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has done the same thing, I thought about the graphite, but was concerned about build up. Nothing really in there to short out...

What I have done is take some light weapons oil and put on the key and turn the ignition a few times. Repeat 4 or 5 times and so far it is still working well.

Roger this; I'll give that a try.

thanks;

Wolf

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to use a high pressure air nozzle and blow out the tumbler are before try to lube it. I would also suggest you call a dealer, get your key code number and have a new on made since yours is 12 years old and pretty warn out, this will slow down any additional wear.

Hi Mike;

Good idea on the air as well - I'll do that before the light oil.

It looks like the previous owner replaced it once - as ignition keys are different from door key so, hopefully, I will not have to do that for a while (although I have had this beast since the Fall of 2005).

I have lots of good, dry shop-air available so that won't be a problem; what are you thinking - in the 90psi range? I don't want to blow the tumbler apart (LoL).

Thanks again;

Wolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo