advice for newbe RE timing chain on older rovers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skydawg

Reaction score
hello all...
I am consider buying a 2010 or 2011 and educating myself on seemingly inevitable timing chain replacement. I have read much but wanted to get more info on if there is an average mileage ballpark the system fails. I have read everywhere from 60k mi to closer to 200..... seems 120-140mi is average. I reference there are many factors, with frequent oil changes being one, but wondering what's average and if testing chain tension thru oil cap is helpful in determining health as it's only 1 side of the system.

also, is there any fair warning the chain needs replacement, such as OBD codes or when noise can be heard? How often are failures catastrophic?

local independent shop quoted about $6k-$7k to replace... does this sound about average?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some forum members with 150k+ here on the factory chains and guides. Failures are less common on 2013's. A lot of luck and a lot of oil changes help.

You can pull on the chain from the oil cap to see if it's tight. A rattling chain on a cold start is also a tell tale sign.

I think we see more coolant crossover pipe failures here that wreck engines than timing chains.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. It seems we frequently hear people having a loose chain and having to fix it at relatively great expense but more frequently hear the no-warning-coolant-leak-blow-the-engine for an even more expensive engine replacement. (In my unscientific survey on this board it only seems to happen to people in hot environments (CA, NV, FL, AZ) as I havent read a story of someone in the NE or midwest have the coolant problem, someone on here correct me if I'm wrong)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick