Rear brake pad weirdness and EPB repair mutterings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So,
Just replaced rear pads on my 2010 V8 LR4. Last done with rotors (brembo pads and rotors) 12k miles ago. Both sides were kinda whacky with uneven pad wear. I had same issue with front drivers side pads, but that was due to one siezed slider pin. Slider pins at back sliding nicely. I took both rotors off and reseated them. All mating surfaces nice and clean. Brake pistons retracted fine with clamp when fitting the pads. Struggling to come up with any scenario that results in such uneven wear (apart from siezed slider pin). Thoughts?

While both back wheels were off I had a peak at the EPB module. No EPB for two years and warning light irritating. Anyhow, I have the replacement gear kit just in case. There's a youtube vid showing release LHS EPB cable, undo Module retaining bolts and then maneuver it out RHS wheel well above UCA. It sits there while you remove lid and fix innards. It actually looks doable. Kit comes with replacement module bolts and bushings as undoubtedly they will snap as rusted. Anyone else done it this way?

Attachments

• 20220806_104910.jpg
    20220806_104910.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220806_121734.jpg
    20220806_121734.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 62

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks corroded. Looks like sticky slider pins but both worn the same?

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slider pins were fine on both sides, well lubricated and free moving. The wear was most uneven on both inner pads.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The slide pins are not the problem.
The clips that the pads sit in are corroded. Not allowing the pads to slide freely in the caliper bracket.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You mean the brass colored clips?
Well, they were replaced when I replaced the pads and I greased each end of the pad where it sits in the clip, so I don't think that's the problem. The clips are non-ferrous so never rust, so the pads are unlikely to sieze in place. When I took the old pads out they came out easily so nothing stuck and not moving.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have periodic sticky slider pins. I live in the west (not as salty but winter is twice as long) and clean and relube the pins spring and fall with the winter wheel change. Also only use silicone. No ceramic or synthetic greases, they will swell the rubber bushings on the front pins. Silglyde is a great option. You can also clean up the pad ears that ride in the clips and dab some sylglide in there too.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about silicone grease only. I took the slider pins out to check for grease and both were well lubricated and came out easily with no sticking. I can't see that they could be the problem, or am I not understanding how they work. Can they be covered in lube but still stick...... seems unlikely?
Agreed, after my experience with the siezed pin on the front caliper I refuse them every pad change, but maybe more frequently now as you suggest.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was the seized pin on the front caliper one of the bushing ones?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut