Rear Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rons21

Reaction score
Had a surprise coolant leak yesterday afternoon. The wife was in the down the street and got a low coolant alert. She turned around and came home. As she pulled up I could see what turned out to be coolant leaking steadily from the back of the engine. The front of the engine is completely dry. I did reach around and can feel that the rear cross over is wet. The drivers side is more wet than the passenger side.

She has a filed a complaint that the heater is taking a long time to get warm. I haven't been driving it because I bought a LX470.

So, Is there anything else I should change out while I am tackling this project. The water pump as well as the vacuum pump where changed out before we bought it about 18 months ago. I may change the front crossover while doing it. Wanted to make sure that I am not missing something that I should change as well.

Arman

Reaction score
Coolant Crossover leaks is probably #1 problem with petrol LR4s, and were discussed many many times.
What year is the car? If it's SCV6 you better read this entire thread, tons of useful info:

I have posted summary of what I've done here: https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...ermostat-replacement.42027/page-6#post-231272
Including everything that was replaced "While I'm in there"
Front, back manifold and PCV valve are MUST DO. Make sure to get newest design of the front manifold.
Waterpump strongly recommended (if not done before). Thermostat is recommended. Everything else is optional.

Rons21

Reaction score
Thanks, it is a 2011. I did some more poking around tonight and noticed that there is a pooling of coolant underneath the front crossover pipe. I guess I will figure out what went wrong when I tear everything apart.

The water pump was changed out about a year ago. The PCV valves were changed a month ago.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. It's not too bad of a job. Giving the Rover a reach around lol.

Rons21

Reaction score
Got the rear crossover and front one changed out. The o ring in the rear passenger side disintegrated. I put everything back together and now I have a leak from the elbow that pushes into the water pump. I am looking for the replacement part number but the hoses don't match.

It looks like a 1/4" line that comes off the Y and then has a push in elbow into the water pump.

Any help on part numbers would be appreciated. The wife is growing frustrated with my mechanic skills.

Attachments

• tempImagea8NfB0.png
    tempImagea8NfB0.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA