Rear diff pinion seal width, two to choose from

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 95 D1 i'm replacing the rear driveshaft (roto crap) with a driveshaft with U-joints.
Questions; the seal that came out was a FTC 5258 that is .350" wide, book shows "seal FTC 5258 or FRC 8220. Does anyone have FRC 8220 seal handy to mike the seal width which must be wider? To drive in the 5258 seal until it stops at the shoulder in the case will allow inner oil seal lip to ride on the flange end chamfer instead of flange hence oil leak. Yanked out new seal which is now wasted and $32 shot plus $10 shipping. My helper pulled the old seal out without telling me it wasn't driven all the way in until seated.
That sounds crappy to have seal partially driven in and not seated as how Rover dealer installed last seal when PO owned vehicle records show. A 8220 seal may correct this or i'll machine a metal ring for the seal to stop against and install another 5258 seal. Width of a FRC 8220 please and thanks in advance.
.....=o&o>.....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM