Rear Hatch Stuck Closed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't open my rear hatch. I can hear the lock trying to fire when I touch the button, but it wont open. Any ideas?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go to your dealer I dont beleve their is a manual release on thar

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pushing the door closed while you press the release button? This has happen to me before.

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try pushing the door closed while you press the release button? This has happen to me before.

Thanks Adam,

Yeah, I have tried this like a hundred times, pushing and pushing. I can hear the mechanism trying and trying, but nothing.

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm.

Did you try checking the tire pressure and the turn signal blinker bearings? I find that with Rovers, the solution is often found in ancilliary systems.

Ha ha. J/k. Good luck with it seriously. "warranty".:bandit:

jzk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, "warranty." I am out of "warranty," but no worries, as I have purchased the most expensive extended warranty that LR sells. Too bad it hasn't covered jack like the AC lines, or any wiring that might get wet.

So, don't drive your LR in the rain, as it might void the warranty!

I am sure my dealer will have no trouble fixing this latch mechanism. They will probably need to replace an entire wiring run from the front to the rear. Extra charge, of course, for dropping my offroving rock sliders. Double charge because the bolts are a little rusty. In estimating how much it will cost, they probably think to themselves, "what is the most that this sap will pay before just living with not being able to use the rear hatch?"

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there are threads on Disco3.co.uk about releasing the hatch when it's stuck. It's been about a year since I read one of them, but it's there. If I recall, it wasn't too hard.

TRD4ME

Reaction score
The issue is usualy with the cable attetched to the latch actuator. It shears off at the actuator and leaves no way to open the hatch. You have to peal back the lower trim panel from the inside and cut open the water shedder and break the latch cable out. It is fairly simple. Parts are cheap. You'll need a lower tailgait latch and a water shedder.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The issue is usualy with the cable attetched to the latch actuator. It shears off at the actuator and leaves no way to open the hatch. You have to peal back the lower trim panel from the inside and cut open the water shedder and break the latch cable out. It is fairly simple. Parts are cheap. You'll need a lower tailgait latch and a water shedder.

yes, this happened to me. truck was under warranty so it was fixed, but, it was still a pain in the butt as i was on the 2nd day of a week beach vacation when it happened! stuck it out w/o being able to open up the back all week.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM