Rear Locker worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize you could not add a locker . . . . kind of moot point, huh?

It can be added. However the value isn't there. If my rear open diff ever fails I will upgrade to the locking diff. I have the tools and a faultmate so I can do the change....

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It can be added. However the value isn't there. If my rear open diff ever fails I will upgrade to the locking diff. I have the tools and a faultmate so I can do the change....

Up until now, my assumption was that you could add an aftermarket locker, something like an ARB or ECTED . . .I really hadn't considered that there may be some electronics that could present challenges, but I'm still new to the whole LR world.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ewwwww. Don't even consider the factory locker (HD) as an option. It requires a complete, new main harness. Essentially a body off retrofit. It would exceed 10k in short time. There are zero aftermarket options available. I could imagine a war between a mechanical locker and multiple ECU's fighting for control. Fault city. Don't sweat the locker issue at all. I don't have one and it hasn't prevented me from getting into or out of "lockered" situations. You have an incredibly advanced traction control system as is.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't sweat the locker issue at all. I don't have one and it hasn't prevented me from getting into or out of "lockered" situations. You have an incredibly advanced traction control system as is.

Understood, I'll leave well enough alone . . . . . I'll invest in the right tires and armor.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ewwwww. Don't even consider the factory locker (HD) as an option. It requires a complete, new main harness. Essentially a body off retrofit. It would exceed 10k in short time. There are zero aftermarket options available. I could imagine a war between a mechanical locker and multiple ECU's fighting for control. Fault city. Don't sweat the locker issue at all. I don't have one and it hasn't prevented me from getting into or out of "lockered" situations. You have an incredibly advanced traction control system as is.

You can buy a "Repair Harness." The one write-up I read about the conversion is actually quite easy. Definately not a body off upgrade. Simply splice in the repair harness and add one +12v signal wire (this is probably the one your thinking of) and can be done through the interior. Once programmed you are good to go. I got the impression it could be done in a day rather easily...

Trynian

Reaction score

Incorrect, you do not not need a complete main harness.

You can add the pieces needed, with exception to the can bus loop that you have to splice in to at the right location.

You can find a write up on disco3.co.uk.

Last edited:

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general a diff locker will aid in getting through areas you might not otherwise, TC equipped vehicles notwithstanding. The downside is they enable you to get even worse stuck. Sort of like adding 4WD to a vehicle. Depending on where you off-road I've of the opinion that a winch is a better investment than a locker for making sure you can get home. That would be my second investment after good tires.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing I will add is that climbing a particularly long (.6 miles) steep crushed granite/grass/brush slope of between 20 - 40 degrees, the amber parking brake light would appear, the transmission would not shift out of second gear (Lo), and my rear brakes were very hot. I attributed this to the TC working "overtime", which seems corroborated by the comments here.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this was DURING the hill climb? Parking brake light? Are you sure it was that icon?

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the amber parking brake light. I notice it at the top of the climb, as I do not notice much besides my line and the tachometer until I'm at the top.

This is the first part of the climb. The hill in the top left of the pic is the very top of the ascenthttp://www.flickr.com/photos/20586582@N07/4939407343/in/set-72157624134675338/
albeit not the LR3; but there are pics of the LR3 in the "sets":biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635