Rear Locker worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have very little wheeling experience with my LR3, so I seek advice and counsel from the forum experts.

My Jeep is locked front and rear . . . it made a huge difference in what I could and couldn't do with it.

I bought my LR3 because I was tired of the spartan interior and lack of space and frankly the lack of comfort, I've kept the Jeep for the gnarly stuff that would otherwise turn my Rover into a "rent-a-wreck" . . . . that said, I plan to use my Rover a lot and most of the trails I frequent are rated 5 or lower, I plan to do a pilgrimage to Moab (although I can't make it to the National Rally . . . .preparing for SEMA, no time).

So, is the Terrain Response T-Case sophisticated enough to negate the benefits of a rear locker?

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm one of the lucky few out there with a 2005 LR3 with a rear locker. There are only a few situation where it has actually stood out as helping with traction. I was in Moab with a non-locked sport, and it was apparent that in climbing situations heavily articulated, that the rear locker does give a definite advantage. But in 90% of the situations, using the traction control system properly can get you through most situations. I watched someone a week ago climbing a hill for example, and when his wheel started to spin, he immediately put on the brakes, then tried to gas, while still holding the brake. Once I got him to take his foot off the brake and give it lots of gas, the traction control finally took hold and he did fine.

Traction control works in most situations, but if you are going to be in highly articulated climbing, then you will do better with the rear locker. That being said, I haven't seen anyone be able to add the LR rear locker to an existing vehicle, as it is fully integrated into the computer, and it is actually a variable electronic differential, and requires not only replacement of the diff, but other chips, wiring, programming, etc.

Trynian

Reaction score
You can get through most anything without it, just need a little more finesse on the really tuff stuff. It helps but it hasn't made the difference of not making it yet. If most trails you go on are rated 5 or less you will have no problem.

It has been successfully added by some UK guys but it is not an easy task. The install itself is not hard just sourcing the wiring you need. Not worth it unless you really plan to use it.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you don't have it, I wouldn't worry about it cause you can't add it at this point. What you can do is put an outstanding set of larger tires on to make up for some possible short comings and you'll be fine. That being said, change your brake fluid every 15 to 20,000 miles if you are going to over work your traction control cause the fluid will get burned a lot quicker while helping you thru the rough spots.

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you don't have it, I wouldn't worry about it cause you can't add it at this point. What you can do is put an outstanding set of larger tires on to make up for some possible short comings and you'll be fine. That being said, change your brake fluid every 15 to 20,000 miles if you are going to over work your traction control cause the fluid will get burned a lot quicker while helping you thru the rough spots.

That's great advice.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My observations are that rigs with the locker don't use traction control as much. The non-HD rigs do just fine, as has been said above, the LR3 just uses its resources differently.

For a while I couldn't understand why Nathan Woods was bragging (rightfully so) about the traction control so much because I just didn't share that experience. Then I was out with Ryan (Ryan-in-Oregon) on some trails and he mentioned something about traction control on one of the hill climbs we'd just done....and mine hadn't engaged at all. With that in mind, sometimes I watch the 4x4 info display as I'm going slowly along the trail and I notice that the diffs (both center and rear) are locking and unlocking ALL THE TIME. They are very active. When I'm in general mode (in Terrain Response) as opposed to Mud or Rock Crawl I notice the TC kicking in from time-to-time.

So my conclusion is that the HD rigs use the locker a lot and the TC very little. If you have a non-HD rig you'll get there using TC more, that's all.

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience is very much the same as the others. In my recent trip to Ouray to do some of the passes in that area, I was actually amazed at how well the LR3 did on some of the more technical obstacles. The traction control seemed to work best if you can maintain a slow speed or even throttle. You want your throttle input to be slow and methodical, not romp on it and let off. You have to give the traction control some time to respond. If you toggle the throttle too fast, you don't give the TC time to respond. In the areas our LR3 has struggled, some better tires would have helped a bunch!

This coming from an owner of a bronco locked F&R on 35's.

J.D.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, is the Terrain Response T-Case sophisticated enough to negate the benefits of a rear locker?

Yes. Its phenomenal. I have a lifted Jeep Rubicon (LJ) on 35's and run some pretty decent trails with it, so I have good understanding of how to compare the LR3 to a traditional rig with lockers.

Lockers are better, but the TC on the LR3 is amazing. You will never fail an obstacle in the LR3 due to traction, assuming you have decent tires.

If you are familiar with Moab, here is a brief explanation I wrote on www.LR3tips.wordpress.com

"Solihull has adopted a new trail rating system from Red Rock 4-Wheelers, with posted descriptions of what ratings 1 – 10 mean. Solihul’s old ratings are here, and I still like them. HOWEVER, all these ratings are notably inaccurate for Modern Rovers (LR3/RRS/MkIII RR). I have found the trail rating system to be very difficult to use to judge actual trail difficulty. One of the best trails in Moab is the iconic Fins N Things. This trail is not very difficult, but it is 4. Hells Revenge is very similar, but slightly steeper, and has a few more entertaining, but optional obstacles, and gets a 6. If you liked Fins and Things, you will love Hells Revenge. Don’t sweat the 6 rating. However, Steelbender is also a 6 and by all accounts, lives up to it’s name and is a very difficult 6, so traveler beware.

A Note About Modern Rovers
Modern Rover is an IFS suspension version, such as the LR3, Range Rover Sport, or MkIII Range Rover. I do not include Freelanders or LR2′s because they do not have Low Range transfer cases nor adjustable suspension (off road height).

I call them Modern Rovers because their origin is with BMW and Ford, unlike the drivetrain from the Disco II and Disco 1, which are directly carried over from the Classic, and before that, the precursor to the Classic, which I can’t recall the name of…starts with a V? (Velar?)

I single out Modern Rovers because their electrowizardry turns ordinary trail rating system into mush. Traditional trail ratings are all about lockers and tire size. An LR3 for example, can out climb just about any locked vehicle on the planet through it’s phenomenal traction control, amazing 13″ long travel suspension, and incredibly tight turning radius. However, it has very limited clearance. Which means obstacles that challenge even the stoutest of traditional solid axle rigs are a piece of cake for a Modern Rover, but if the rocks get too big, the Modern Rover will never have a chance due to limited clearance.

It makes picking trails that you are not familiar with very difficult when you own a Modern Rover. You really need to know why a trail has earned a given rating. If it’s big rocks, bad news and don’t bother. If it’s anything else beside big rocks, pretty much no problem for a Modern Rover.
My point is not that the Modern Rover is “better”, it’s that their capabilities are very different, making the trail rating system almost useless. The nature of the obstacle is the deciding factor, not the difficulty level. In the past few years, the LR3′s have mastered trails that “old school” participants thought the LR3 would never ever make it through.

However, I think there are dozens of trails you will never see an LR3 on, because of the size of rocks and ledges. Pritchard Canyon is one good example. An LR3 will fail big time there."

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Its phenomenal. I have a lifted Jeep Rubicon (LJ) on 35's and run some pretty decent trails with it, so I have good understanding of how to compare the LR3 to a traditional rig with lockers.

Lockers are better, but the TC on the LR3 is amazing. You will never fail an obstacle in the LR3 due to traction, assuming you have decent tires.

[/I]"

I read through your "paper" a couple of days ago (well done). I too have a lifted Jeep locked front and rear ('89 YJ, ARB's) and perhaps I need to do some trail runs before I make assumptions. Tires first (not a fan of the factory mini-van treads).

Regardless, as DiscoMike noted, can't add a locker aftermarket, without it being a major project.

Appreciate all the insight!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM