Rear middle seat stuck down anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrr8400

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. This is the second time in our 2010 LR4 we have had this problem. We have folded down the rear middle seat and are unable to unfold it because the seatbelt locks -- the automatic locking function of the seat belt locks up. So the seatbelt is actually holding the seat down in a folded position. The dealer said there is no way to release it and they actually had to cut it and replace the entire seatbelt the first time it happened. Yesterday it happened again. We have only folded it down like twice since they replaced the seatbelt and now it is locked in place again by the stupid seatbelt. We are waiting to hear back from the dealer. This is a very annoying problem. The first time it happened we were on a trip with a full trunk and folded the seat down at a rest stop to get something out of the trunk and it was stuck. Thankfully we only have 2 children, I don't know what we would have done if we had really needed the seat. Has anyone else experienced this problem? This car is kind of useless to us if you can't reliably fold the seats down.

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We fold our up and down nearly daily. Have not had that happen yet????? Hope I didn't jinx myself!

Cheers,

Joe

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fold mine at least a few times a week, I have not had an issue yet.

LR4ME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually fold mine up and down at least a few times a month, and have never had it get stuck. Ask the dealer to replace the belt mechanism, not just the belt.

rrr8400

Reaction score
I usually fold mine up and down at least a few times a month, and have never had it get stuck. Ask the dealer to replace the belt mechanism, not just the belt.

I'm pretty sure they replaced the entire seat belt assembly last time, but I'll double check. Thanks for the responses, glad to hear that it isn't a common problem.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you do not pull the seat belt all the way out then let it retract all the way back to the seat-back as you are folding it. That is how you lock a belt in place around a child but with a child you usually still have some free play. You will not have this free play if you let it retract all the way as you fold the seat.

Seat belt systems are shipped to assembly plants or complete seat assemblers as a matched pair. If you ever have to replace a seat belt both the male and female ends should be replaced with a new "pair".

ByGuile

Reaction score
My seats are up and down nearly every day.
Never had one stuck.
Did have the cable assist snap on the middle row, drivers side seat.
Still usable, just a little harder to get it back up into place.
Took weeks to get the part.
And many hours to get the fix done.
Dealer said that in order to replace the cable they needed to replace the whole seat frame. Getting the old frame off and the new frame on was a tad tricky, or so I was told.

netstalker

Reaction score
Yes

Consumer reports had the same exact issue in their last review.

I was wondering if anybody else has had this problem. This is the second time in our 2010 LR4 we have had this problem. We have folded down the rear middle seat and are unable to unfold it because the seatbelt locks -- the automatic locking function of the seat belt locks up. So the seatbelt is actually holding the seat down in a folded position. The dealer said there is no way to release it and they actually had to cut it and replace the entire seatbelt the first time it happened. Yesterday it happened again. We have only folded it down like twice since they replaced the seatbelt and now it is locked in place again by the stupid seatbelt. We are waiting to hear back from the dealer. This is a very annoying problem. The first time it happened we were on a trip with a full trunk and folded the seat down at a rest stop to get something out of the trunk and it was stuck. Thankfully we only have 2 children, I don't know what we would have done if we had really needed the seat. Has anyone else experienced this problem? This car is kind of useless to us if you can't reliably fold the seats down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9