Rear wheel bearing DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
I have a metallic noise coming from the right rear that is wholly speed dependent - it doesn't matter if I'm hitting the brakes or not. It sounds like other bad wheel bearings I've experienced. Does anybody have a DIY on rear wheel bearing replacement? Looking at parts drawings it looks like a standard press-in cartridge bearing. I have the tools to press them in and out on the car but I have a question. The drawings show a circlip holding the bearing in from the outside. Does this eliminatet the need to remove the driveshaft? In other words can the bearing be slid out and back in just by removing the clip and leaving the driveshaft in place? Every other car I've done with this type of bearing required half shaft removal so you could get the bearing press tool in place. If I have to remove the 1/2 shaft how is that done?
TIA
Cheers
Randy

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock in one of the parking brake drums?

Below is a link to Bodsy's Brake Bible. Look for the newest version, 1.6a as of this post.
There is a section within the pdf related to the drum parking brake, (drum on each rear wheel inboard of the discs). That may be where the noise is coming from rather than a bearing.

Also I think you should hope so as I seem to recall that changing wheel bearings is far from routine on the 3 - could be wrong about that, but somehow I do not think so.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=4184

This is a link to a parking brake thread.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic66882.html?highlight=+Bodsy\'s++Brake

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear Wheel Bearing thread.

This is a real good thread re what eventually turned out to be a rear wheel bearing concern. Bodsy is again the star in this thread.

By page 3, he finally figured out what the solution was after trying everything else - quite a story. Will be interested in hearing what your solution eventually turns out to be.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic51846.html?highlight=+rear++wheel++bearings

AlpharettaRK

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, although it's a bit hard to understand, I wish they spoke "American" on that board! "I had to give it some welly with a lump hammer!" What the heck does that mean?
So from that thread I gather I need my wheel bearing press. I'm first going to try the e-brake bedding procedure, that should eliminate the possiblity of the shoe dragging being the culprit.
Cheers

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to press them out , you hawe to remove the whole unit. there are special tools you need to set the depth with.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anyone replaced a front one yet? I hear the noise when I'm turning right and entering an entrance ramp to highway about 30-35mph. Dealer wants 3 hours labor and $260 for complete hub. Im also going to replace all my diff fluids and transfer case fluid this weekend possible when I dive into doing my sparkplugs. Car has 108k miles.

I also have 35k miles on my Cooper Zeons so may look at getting those replaced soon and do another alignment.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did my drivers side front a few months ago It wasn't terribly difficult especially if you have access to air tools.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99