Rear wiper issues, any thoughts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucktown

Reaction score
So I've been having some troubles with my rear wiper on the tailgate. From starting position (horizontal across the base of the rear window) to finish position (vertical on the left side of the rear window) it works perfectly. Good contact, smooth rate of travel, no noises or drama.

But then it stops. As soon as it tries to head back down to starting position, no movement, just a terrible noise until I flip it to off on the stalk. I don't know if its a stripped gear, or a chain off a cog, or a loose screw on a spline or what, but it cant be that bad if the motor is still functioning normally.

Has anyone ever had a look at the rear wiper function? Anyone heard of this issue before? Perhaps a DIY to take the tailgate apart?

thanks all.

Trynian

Reaction score
Mine when out, motor would run but the blade would not move at all. It was a broken plastic piece where the gears are on the motor assembly. Small litte part but they do not sell or replace those parts so the entire motor assembly was replaced.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine droops down...like "starting position" is now below the window.

kodiakdragon

Reaction score
Mine had started to do the droop below the window, and would freeze halfway through one sweep. Took it to the dealer and was told it was corrosion on the arm itself. Replaced the arm and no problems since.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had encountered both issues. The "sticking" arm (won't do a full sweep, slows or gets stuck part way) was remedied with some WD40 sprayed on the arm hinges. The droopy arm was resolved by removing and re-attaching in the proper position.

Approaching 90k miles with the original rear wiper arm, and still working like new.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried to adjust the position but not very earnestly. So are you talking about that nut under the little black cap on the arm? Do I just loosen it, adjust the arm's position and then re-tighten?

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried to adjust the position but not very earnestly. So are you talking about that nut under the little black cap on the arm? Do I just loosen it, adjust the arm's position and then re-tighten?

Yes, that is the one. You may need to remove the wiper arm completely, then reposition. I don't specifically recall if there were splines as it was a year ago. You will see when you start to loosen, it was a fairly straight forward adjustment.

bucktown

Reaction score
Im going to pull mine apart this weekend and have a look at it, the rear cover of the tailgate seems to pop off easily enough. I was on the highway for a long rd trip through the mountains, and I really took the function of that rear wiper for granted...

bucktown

Reaction score
So I finally decided to get back into this after doing a trailer wiring harness today, and I cant seem to get the trim off the inside of the rear access door...

Weather stripping, no problem. The few push clips, easy. Screw under the handle, check.

The thing is still on there like its welded. Is the some hardware that im missing somewhere that needs to be removed? if I pull any harder, I feel like im going to snap something for sure. Anyone have any tips?

Trynian

Reaction score
So I finally decided to get back into this after doing a trailer wiring harness today, and I cant seem to get the trim off the inside of the rear access door...

Weather stripping, no problem. The few push clips, easy. Screw under the handle, check.

The thing is still on there like its welded. Is the some hardware that im missing somewhere that needs to be removed? if I pull any harder, I feel like im going to snap something for sure. Anyone have any tips?

Sometimes you have to use a small puller to get it loose. They get stuckon there pretty good over time.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo