Repair and Preventative Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisp

Reaction score
Someone decided to hit my taillight with who knows what in NYC the other day so I have a crack in my left rear light. Wondering if it’s something I should replace or just leave as is. Seems mainly cosmetic, but wondering if water intrusion will mess with the electrical system at all. Also are these easy enough to find second hand? I’ve seen a couple on EBay, but they’re not OEM. New ones seem to be around 5-6 hundred.

Other than that, I’m wondering if anyone here has undercoated? I’ve been interested in doing that, but I don’t want to do it every year as some places suggest. I was wondering about using farm supplement…I expect it would last quite a while but never used the product.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grew up in Boston area. If I still lived up there or NYC area I’d look at a dry-ice chassis clean followed by a Waxoyl treatment. Luckily, I’m in St. Louis now where just keeping the underside clean is sufficient.

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing it every year, I do it myself. Last year I used fluidlfilm, going to try out the new PB Blaster stuff this year.

chrisp

Reaction score
Ya I’ve read about the PB Blaster stuff…seems promising. I’ve used other PB blaster products for years on my older bikes. When you’re putting on the coating if there’s already rust do you just go over it?

mm3846

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I’ve read about the PB Blaster stuff…seems promising. I’ve used other PB blaster products for years on my older bikes. When you’re putting on the coating if there’s already rust do you just go over it?
Yea, as long as it's not flaking off or badly corroded you can go right over it. If you want to do it "right" I'd pick up the Eastwood branded product of your choice (some are for painting right over some rust, or heavy rust, or for a frame after you "clean" the rust off) first, then use the lanolin coating after.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9