Replace key fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will call around. Out of curiosity, where did you get the 300 quote , mine was from Land Rover carlsbad (San Diego)

In regards to cloned, yeah I get that, I was just being lazy with my words.

Does anyone have direct experience using the tool to generate a new key?

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a receipt from the PO, who bought the replacement fob from the Boise dealership. I just looked it up:

$382 list price, $295 discounted price, plus $60 labor to program, plus tax. Total was under $400 out the door, but this did *not* include a new metal key, which would have been ~$75 more.​

The $600 quote from Carlsbad could have been MSRP, possibly plus extra markup, hopefully including the metal key, and labor to program. It takes 10 mins to program but the dealer likely has a half-hour minimum.

:ahhhhh:

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will call around. Out of curiosity, where did you get the 300 quote , mine was from Land Rover carlsbad (San Diego)

Yes - I have done it for my LR3.

I've been using my eBay key for over a year with NO issues.

It's a no brainer if you already own the IIDtool. Good luck!

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've done it. It's easy. I think Powerful UK has a youtube video on doing it.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the instructions they talk about hooking up the battery to something to keep the voltage stable (or something like that), did everyone do this or just have the car run idle on its own?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some IIDTool routines require one or more engine restarts to "take" (modifying / reflashing the CCF comes to mind), some others may run for several minutes with the engine off, and that's why they recommend hooking up the vehicle's battery to a power supply, so you don't brick your electronic modules due to a weak battery. It's only a precaution though. If you are confident your battery is charged and in good health, or if the routine can be performed while the engine is idling, don't worry about it and disregard that recommendation. Please keep your garage door open, though. :)

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the instructions they talk about hooking up the battery to something to keep the voltage stable (or something like that), did everyone do this or just have the car run idle on its own?

Of all the IIDTool uses, this procedure is very quick.

No need to use a charger during.

And you can't run the engine while doing this, as the key moves to specific positions.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made a new key fob with gap tool, couldn’t have been easier . Just ordered a blank metal key and will take it to a locksmith. Thanks for all the help! Thanks for saving me $550 bucks!

Parker Freeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tried to program a new key fob with The Gap tool and got a E7 error message tried it with another vehicle and got the same message.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut