Replacing the accessory drive belt?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Califly

Reaction score
I've looked up and down the interwebs, but I can't find a video or step-by-step instructions on replacing the accessory drive belt (LR012663) for my 2011 LR4 HSE V8. I can change the serpentine belt without issues. Can anyone help?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it were longer, I would say that you could feed it over the fan and be alright. Based on its length though, you should probably remove the fan clutch.

Califly

Reaction score
The fan is off, but the belt is super tight. I don't see any tensioner (like the one for the serpentine belt). Should there be enough stretch in the belt itself to install without a tensioner?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a stretch belt, no tensioner. You should use a new belt each time you remove it. Land Rover probably has a fancy tool but in essence you just pry it on there.

Califly

Reaction score
I guess there is a special tool (303-1500) to install the belt, but it costs $200+? Is that right??

Any tricks to install the belt without the tool?

blake aiken

Reaction score
I picked up one of these from autozone or something

47fb855f20761457e6040caa94bb89c5.jpg

wardheyel

Reaction score
You will need the tool mentioned above, but it will take some patience. Try to get the old belt off with the tool, don't cut it. It gives you some practice on how it works. In my case, I got the old belt off, but when I tried to put the new belt on, it ended up shredding it. It was not lined up properly. I was then able to put the old belt back on until I could get another replacement.

Justin Mann

Reaction score
This took me a ridiculously long time when I did it. Ended up buying the tool directly from Bosch. Ruined more than a couple belts. The key for me was the tool and an extra person. I had the extra person rotate the belt with a socket wrench and I was on the left side when facing the front of the vehicle guiding and stretching the belt on. I also feel like some belts have a bit more give as I tried a couple manufacturers. If I can find the spare I bought from Rock Auto I'll let you know which one ended up easiest for me.

N Markley

Reaction score
There's a video on YouTube that shows how to install a tension belt using a pair of vice grips on the crankshaft pulley. I followed the method and it worked very easily and without needing to purchase extra tools just for one job!

You basically install the belt on the smaller pulley first and get it started on the crankshaft pulley as much as possible. Tightly place your vice grips on the outer crankshaft pulley lip (front of vehicle) right where the belt begins to come off the crankshaft pulley. Use a breaker bar to slowly spin the crankshaft and the vice grips will force the belt onto the pulley as it turns. No special tools required and works like a charm! A little patience will get you there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick