Rijidij Rear Tire Carrier

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very interested! Can you share a picture? How annoying was running the wiring?

Thanks, brother!

@Michael Gain

I'm travelling for a week or so, but will do when I get back.

I have the Tactical 4x4 dual jerry can carrier on mine. The Kenwood camera is mounted to the top beam of the license plate carrier with the Kenwood supplied bracket. IRRC the wiring for the factory camera has a enters the tailgate through the wiring bundle on the top of the driver's side of the liftgate. I pulled the trim off of the liftgate, removed the factory camera coax cable from the liftgate and then re-routed it down through the rear corner panel trim where the back speakers reside and then out through the tail light wiring grommet and then through the jerry can carrier along with my power wires for the license plate light.

There was no cutting or remaking terminations required for the factory coax cable. There was plenty of wire length available after removing it from the lift gate. The factory female connector on the coax plugged right into the male connection on the Kenwood camera pigtail.

You will lose your backup guide lines on the camera display since that function appears to reside in the factory camera itself, and not in the head unit. Well worth it to me, as the camera is 100% usable again.

If you can figure out the tools needed to do your own terminations on the very small gauge coax wire that LR uses, you can skip the disassembly of the tailgate. There is a disconnect in the wiring just before it enters the liftgate where you could unplug the homerun to the head unit from the wire that lead through the liftgate. Disconnect there and add your own wiring with terminations out to the back of the truck. I do my own terminations on RG6 type coax, but I didn't want to mess with buying the tools for what would be a one time job for me on LR's tiny little wire.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Michael Gain

I'm travelling for a week or so, but will do when I get back.

I have the Tactical 4x4 dual jerry can carrier on mine. The Kenwood camera is mounted to the top beam of the license plate carrier with the Kenwood supplied bracket. IRRC the wiring for the factory camera has a enters the tailgate through the wiring bundle on the top of the driver's side of the liftgate. I pulled the trim off of the liftgate, removed the factory camera coax cable from the liftgate and then re-routed it down through the rear corner panel trim where the back speakers reside and then out through the tail light wiring grommet and then through the jerry can carrier along with my power wires for the license plate light.

There was no cutting or remaking terminations required for the factory coax cable. There was plenty of wire length available after removing it from the lift gate. The factory female connector on the coax plugged right into the male connection on the Kenwood camera pigtail.

You will lose your backup guide lines on the camera display since that function appears to reside in the factory camera itself, and not in the head unit. Well worth it to me, as the camera is 100% usable again.

If you can figure out the tools needed to do your own terminations on the very small gauge coax wire that LR uses, you can skip the disassembly of the tailgate. There is a disconnect in the wiring just before it enters the liftgate where you could unplug the homerun to the head unit from the wire that lead through the liftgate. Disconnect there and add your own wiring with terminations out to the back of the truck. I do my own terminations on RG6 type coax, but I didn't want to mess with buying the tools for what would be a one time job for me on LR's tiny little wire.

I need to do this. I have the T44 setup also. Do you have a link to the camera you used?

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Michael Gain. The Rijidij product looks pretty good. Most of our Aussie-designed offroad gear is
top quality. It appears to be the strongest of the wheel swings that use the OEM bumper. I've researched
everything on the market & it seems the best of the carriers using that system.
For the price, which is roughly half of my Kaymar full steel replacement rear bar it seems good value. I'd
still be a bit cautious about the additional weight of a tank etc considering it's mounted to the original bumper which is not designed to carry extra weight. The pivot needs to handle a lot of weight with a tank.
An aux. tank under the rear is the ideal solution to carrying extra fuel. My Brown Davis aux. tank has 110
liters & doesn't affect the departure angle or tow hitch. It has an electric pump to transfer fuel to the standard tank. It retains the standard filler position, but has two holes under the flap to keep the system
as simple (and failsafe!) as possible. It means I now carry up to 193 liters of diesel. (50 US gals.)
The Brown Davis unit should be around USD$1450- at current exchange rate.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. I mounted a new Kenwood camera to my spare tire carrier and wired it inuin the factory wiring harness. It works perfectly and gives you your panoramic view back.
What about the upper rearview camera? I think we can switch to it through the control panel.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Why would it matter where the cap is?

I have the Terrafirma TF053 installed and combined with the Titan fuel tank. The cap matters as far as distance from the aux fuel cap to the truck's gas cap.

Try fueling up the truck when your parked on the wrong side of the fuel pump. Yes, it doable, BUT its easier to transfer gas from the fuel cap on the aux fuel tank to the truck if it was closer. Meaning, if the cap was near the hinge vs at the end of the swing out arm.

20210316_190434.jpg

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's right, haven't thought about that... By the way, have you used this setup much on corrugated road, harder terrain? I mean, it remains solid even in tougher conditions?

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and does the Terrafirma allow you to move the tyre closer to the hatch when the tank is not there? I'm realising that that price-wise, the spare carrier + Titan tank are coming close to a T44 bumper. Still cheaper, of course. I think I'll make a table with all the prices and pros/cons to help me decide:).

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
That's right, haven't thought about that... By the way, have you used this setup much on corrugated road, harder terrain? I mean, it remains solid even in tougher conditions?

I did a shakedown run out in Lucerne Valley, Johnson Valley, and Mojave Desert this past weekend. Flew through bumpy fire roads ( between 20-60 mph), uneven terrain, incline/decline, and sections where there were rolling hills for a straight 20 miles, and it held up well. Not even a single peep from it.

I shared my experience with Lucky8 and Eddie from Terrafirma, he's the main guy there.

I would 100% recommend it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut