Roof Rack Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I just traded in my 2010 LR4 for a 2013 LR4 - identical in every way except I did not (yet) get a roof rack on the new one. I have a need to carry surfboards and occasionally gear for off-roading, therefore I would really like a rack, HOWEVER, I had a horrible experience with the rack LR installed on my 2010.

At that time (July, 2010), although they listed the expedition/luggage rack as an official LR option in the LR4 book, it turned out that they had to have them made by a third party because LR hadn't been geared up to produce them. The result was a really nice looking and functioning expedition rack BUT the sound problems were horrific.

With LR's help we tried everything - three or four plastic, then fiberglass dams configured every which way but the sound remained deafening.

Does anyone have any relevant experience with the 2013 "factory" racks? I'm specifically looking at the Luggage Carrier or the Aqua Sports Carrier. My biggest concern again is too much noise (without gear/boards aboard). how about same question with any after-market racks?

HikeNbike

Reaction score
talk to Derek at "Urban off Road", Google his company.... he will tell you what you need.. his racks work with the full rail kit but they are tough.... custom to what you need

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talk to Derek at "Urban off Road", Google his company.... he will tell you what you need.. his racks work with the full rail kit but they are tough.... custom to what you need
I second that.

I ordered a 2013 LR4 with the black design package (which comes with the full-length roof rails) and I have been working with Derek for my new roof rack. I am getting the Exodus full-sized rack and likely a few other items. He also does the installation for free if you are not too far away in CA. I live in the SF Bay area, so I am ordering now and will make the 2.5 hour road trip to his shop to have everything installed. I love that, it is much safer than freight shipping.

Hey HikeNbike, did you work with him in the past? Did you go there to install?

HikeNbike

Reaction score
yes he made my rack.... but no he shipped it to me.. i'm too far away from him to drive..

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes he made my rack.... but no he shipped it to me.. i'm too far away from him to drive..
That's understandable. I'm glad to hear that you like the rack and think it is good quality. Since I will have the full-length roof rails, I wanted something that was compatible. I could remove them and get another Voyager, but I am not real happy with mine.

Thanks again!

Regards, David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72