Roof Rack Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I know that roof racks have been discussed before, but I'm trying to decide on one. I've never owned one, so I'm a bit clueless. Basically I am looking for the following:

1. Something for occasional camping trips for a family of four.

2. Something for occasional snowboarding/ski trips.

3. Something that can carry one of those one-man inflatable pontoon boats (I can optionally deflate it)

4. Something that will add no more than 9" of height. I have just under 10" clearance between the roof rails of my LR3 in normal mode and the entrance to my garage. Looking at pictures it seems like this shouldn't be too big of a problem, right? I *could* use access mode, but I'm not sure I trust myself (and my wife) to always remember to use access mode to enter the garage.

I have been considering the Yakima MegaWarrior or LoadWarrior mostly based on the price and the ability to easily add other Yakima attachments (like a ski/snowboard rack) without removing the roof rack. Another thing I liked about the Mega/LoadWarrior was that the bars across the bottom seem to be fairly close together, which seems like it would be good for small coolers and the like because they wouldn't be touching the actual truck; maybe this isn't an issue, like I said, I've never owned one and I am just going by pictures.

However, I haven't seen many people here talking about or suggesting the Yakima roof racks, so maybe they aren't what I want? I do like the looks of other racks better, though I haven't seen any decent pictures of the Yakima racks on an LR3.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im on the same search, same needs, and same 10" limitation. I am looking at the brownchurch w/Yakima wind deflector or the OEM expidition rack (mostly because these pop up on craigslist for cheap). I havnt found any good pictures either. Keep us posted.

sushisean

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the factory cross bars and sold them. They weren't versatile enough. I bought Yakima cross bars and haven't looked back. I have two bike racks, the 2nd largest cargo box, and a small rack. I can load the top out however I want for whichever trip I'm doing. Best of all it takes 2 minutes to snap the rack off the top and store it in my garage.

33786187.jpg

Pismo%20Road%20Trip%20w%20Boys%20%289%29.jpg

Pismo%20Road%20Trip%20w%20Boys%20%2831%29.jpg

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I've used Yakima since for years. Lately, I've got bikes, boards, and boxes up there. I'll take a photo and add post it. Solid brand overall. I'd suggest the 60" cross bars and add a fairing. Note, if the front bar is all the way forward, the sunroof will hit the fairing and possibly jam it from closing (had this happen 4x).

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures of mine with the Brownchurch rack and a Thule wind deflector. I find this to be the perfect fit for me. I barely make it into my garage with this on, so the Expo Rack was not an option for me. It gets a lot of bad reviews, and I didn't really want a full length rack anyway. We are a family of 6 and this gives us plenty of room for long trips. We did 2 weeks in AZ a few months back with no problems.

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show off.LOL,Always nice to see a beautiful vistas...and nice LR too.:hello:

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Show off.LOL,Always nice to see a beautiful vistas...and nice LR too.:hello:

i second that. if only PA had some scenery like that to visit. The jersey shore or Poconos are the best bet on this side of the states. At least for me. This guy is feeling envious.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am actually from Jersey.Not many places to venture off road.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always take advantage of any reason to remember Colorado. Most beautiful place in the country. If only I could get there more than once a year. But I'll take whatever I can get.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used Yakima since for years. Lately, I've got bikes, boards, and boxes up there. I'll take a photo and add post it. Solid brand overall. I'd suggest the 60" cross bars and add a fairing. Note, if the front bar is all the way forward, the sunroof will hit the fairing and possibly jam it from closing (had this happen 4x).

Not sure I follow... Could you desribe the subroof-hitting-the-fairing issue a bit more? Or take a picture if you get a chance? I would greatly appreciate it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635