Rubber stops spare wheel undercarriage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I just spent two hours out trying to position the Zeon LTZ in the spare location and still "have plenty of room" to install the hitch. What's the secret tomasesto? did you cut out any of the metal near the exhaust?
honestly there is NO SECRET! all i did was 1. remove the compact spare. 2. remove the surrounding heat shield and bits. 3. remove the rubber bumpstops. 4. position the New Zeon spare using the OEM spare cable hoist- spokes UP! 5. hoist spare up noting approx 40deg angle for entry until fully engaged and flush with the compartment. Voila!
(note: you may need to deflate, spin, angle, nudge, and patience for fitment) i did this on my 2005 LR3 years ago and showed several friends "how to" or "talked thru" on other 05, 06, 07 LR3 models with plenty room and function for use with their OEM hitch WITHOUT removing their ZEON spare. will post pix of my rig showing current placement

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Full Spare Zeon

attachments are pix of my current ZEON spare set-up sorry quality sux cuz taken with my old bberry but you'll get the picture.. good luck! btw removal and replacement of full spare should be ez enuf performed solo on the TRAIL without need for floor jacks etc. and if not then as b4 use stock sz spare tire or whatever works as long as u have a FULL SIZED spare to get u off the trail safely. also, note UNMATCHED sized spare in use will throw off ur auto shift, nav, mpg... basically everything! so you will have to use sport shift option until you can remedy ur situation.

FullSpareFits 010.jpg

FullSpareFits 005.jpg

FullSpareFits 003.jpg

FullSpareFits 009.jpg

FullSpareFits 014.jpg

Last edited:

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far down do you deflate?? Mine is at 25 right now

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How far down do you deflate?? Mine is at 25 right now
I think I went down to 20ish when tire was new since I air down to about that psi when trailing anyway... long as you can air it up for use

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give it another try airing down to 15-20. The one difference between mine and your lr3 is that mine came with the full size spare so I didn't have those rubber stops to remove. I wonder if the steel plates on the undercarriage are a bit different between the compact and full spare set ups

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll give it another try airing down to 15-20. The one difference between mine and your lr3 is that mine came with the full size spare so I didn't have those rubber stops to remove. I wonder if the steel plates on the undercarriage are a bit different between the compact and full spare set ups
by my experience its all the same... i've helped with both full and compact Zeon swaps but its always much ezier ALL stock shields & rubber stops removed from compartment but as mentioned earlier I have a local friend started with stk 05 LR3 SE 7pass just trimmed shield pulled stops and still able to use his hitch I can maybe post a pix of that later since will be meeting up for din-din

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one difference between mine and your lr3 is that mine came with the full size spare so I didn't have those rubber stops to remove. I wonder if the steel plates on the undercarriage are a bit different between the compact and full spare set ups

I just took out my bump stops last weekend and mine has a full size spare (HD package) so no difference between the two.

perkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just took out my bump stops last weekend and mine has a full size spare (HD package) so no difference between the two.

Where are these bump stops locatedcand what do they look like?? My LR3 didn't have anything under there that looked like a rubber bump stop

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99