"Sandy" LR4 - VIN:SALAK2D43CA649743 Beware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a posting on Ebay for a '12 that was clearly a Sandy loss...I fear we will see more and more of these vehicles making it to the market. At least this one shows as Salvage title.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2012...ars_Trucks&hash=item19d9cc67fe#ht_6425wt_1182

Here's another interesting link.....

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/04/even-more-images-of-the-airport-full-of-15-000-flood-damaged-san/

Scary thought that many of these will be in the hands of people who have no idea that they may have a HUGE problem and safety issues going forward.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly, this is legit as far as I"m concerned. The title will always say "salvage," and the guy that's selling it is being very up-front about it. Looks like a brand-new vehicle that will sell for a fraction of the price. If you are up for a brand new fixer-upper with no warranty, go for it.

That said, the next guy that tries to fudge the title and sell it as a regular used vehicle is a crook.

This is what the seller says:
"THIS LR4 Runs and Lot drives and is being sold with a SALVAGE TITLE due to water intrusion. Upon our inspection the water level only went high enough to the bottom of the seat racks. Both driver and passenger seat motors are not functional. You will be able to see in my 70 plus photos that there are some indicating lights on the speedometer."

Last edited:

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, this is an honest seller and full disclosure has been made. Not flagging them for any reason, just the vehicle.

Many of these "new" and used vehicles will make it to states where the titles are washed and show nothing and be sold to buyers who have no idea that they are buying a vehicle that may have been full of salt water, that's where my comments come from. If you check on ebay you can find hundreds of vehicles (a few weeks ago there was a $200k MB SLS there too) that are being re-sold now and disclose the damage, but there are plenty of articles that show how easy it is to remove it to another state and have it show up on a clean title.

After thinking more about this particular vehicle, I'm wondering how deep the water it was in was to have it make it's way inside and damage the seat motors....gotta think it was pretty deep.

I posted the VIN so that someone in the future might be able to search the forum and find it, as many do on boards when there is a vehicle that the mfg repurchases or does a "trade assist" to help others avoid "problem" vehicles, not to show that this seller was doing anything wrong.

I am not looking forward to having to do all the research that will be required to ensure my sons do not go out and unknowingly buy ANY vehicle that's not properly represented/disclosed when they are driving in two years.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the title is not that easy. Carfax and other services make that pretty tough, i'd think.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cleaning the title is not that easy. Carfax and other services make that pretty tough, i'd think.

Agreed, the online reporting agencies make it much harder to "wash" a title today, but it can still happen. Forwarned is forearmed.

BTW it is amazing to see some of the salvage vehicles on that site....

http://erepairables.com/salvage-classifieds/suvs/land+rover/lr3/2006-land+rover-lr3-2856972

I guess there are enough suspension and motor parts still left that make this a deal.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than "THIS LR4 Runs and Lot drives and is being sold with a SALVAGE TITLE due to water intrusion." in the description, you mean? :wink:

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than "THIS LR4 Runs and Lot drives and is being sold with a SALVAGE TITLE due to water intrusion." in the description, you mean? :wink:

Ah I see it now. To be fair, it is about 20 lines down. You would think one would start with that and not wait until all those line in caps are done before mentioning it.

But it is mentioned and that's my bad.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am really curious how this compares to other damaged vehicles. You would think it would do better with the water than most. It does have a lot more water proofing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112