SCV6 overheated and then catastrophe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red Top Engine

Reaction score
It doesn't take long to overheat the engine. A leak in the cooling system will allow for air to get into the system, which would turn into steam which your secondary temp sensor will not be able to decipher actual temp. How does air get it? A compromised/leaking head gasket, potentially caused by loosened head bolts. Combustion gasses seep between the headgasket and engine block, displacing coolant. Nothing can stop this (no additive either). How do the head bolts get lose? Time and pressure. The engine can be salvaged- it is not destroyed less the heads are warped beyond repair or the engine block is cracked which I doubt. Re-thread and re-enforce the 20 head bolt threads within the block.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, if I like the car, and it's in good to excellent shape, I pretty much fix it, regardless of the value. Buying another car, more depreciation, issues etc etc. That's just my personal opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV