Second hand LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathanbal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking at buying my first LR4 and have found a 2013 LUX that has 55000 miles on it. The price is right, but I'm concerned with the high miles - should I be worried? Have the reliability issues with the earlier models been remedied? It comes with an extended, pre-owned certified warranty. Should I get a third party inspection done or can I rely on the Land Rover "inspection" that comes with being certified?

Thanks!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If buying a used LR4, IMO the CPO warranty is the way to go. Read the warranty presented to you, but it should provide coverage for 6 years from the first sale date or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first. The LR4 has less issues than the LR3 but some are still there. You will need lots of suspension parts at around 75K miles including tie rods, ball joints, bushings and maybe wheel bearings. These are normal wear & tear items on this heavy vehicle that will be covered by a CPO warranty. Another common V8 LR4 issue is a minor water pump leak that is really expensive to fix and will be covered under a CPO warranty.

As for being a 2013 model, that is good. That was the last year of the V8. When it came time to replace our LR3, I didn't like the 2015 LR4 compared to the 2013 LR4 already in our garage. Not a fan of the V6, start-stop, running boards, etc. I had to find a CPO 2013 and am glad I did.

vindio

Reaction score
Paul,

You mention that CPO warranty covers worn bushings ... do you have personal experience with this? I took my CPO '11 LR4 HSE to the local LR dealer for the 60k mile scheduled maintenance, and they quoted me $1,000+ to replace worn control arm bushings (not covered by CPO, according to them).

Thinking about contacting LR about it. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

v

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased a CPO 2012 LUX w/HD that had 50k miles on it back in April. Recently, the powersteering shaft and pump were leaking. CPO covered it...$3500 worth of work. Other than that, I've had no issues.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul,

You mention that CPO warranty covers worn bushings ... do you have personal experience with this? I took my CPO '11 LR4 HSE to the local LR dealer for the 60k mile scheduled maintenance, and they quoted me $1,000+ to replace worn control arm bushings (not covered by CPO, according to them).

Thinking about contacting LR about it. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

v

My bushings were covered under an extended warranty. It was a Ford ESP warranty, but if they covered it, a CPO should. Also, I haven't had luck talking to LRNA about ANYTHING. EVER. They will say it's up to the dealer. Years ago, I had to drive to the fourth nearest LR dealer (still only a couple hours away) to get my delaminating steering wheel replaced. Some dealerships just simply don't want to bother with us pesky customers...

nathanbal

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Does anyone have a link or copy of what the CPO warranty covers? I had a look online and couldn't find it on the LR website.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vindio, I would think that control arm bushings should be covered under a CPO warranty. Yes, I would contact LR to get a final decision.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think worn bushings would be covered by a CPO as they are considered wear and tear parts, no? If they are defective that's a different story, but if they are just worn...

Roverdrj1

Reaction score
I purchased a 2011 LR4 just outside the CPO, had everything I wanted and was able to negotiate it at an excellent price. It did come with one year 10k miles for a dealer certified warenty. I've had it for 1 year and put 15,000 miles on it since we purchased it and the only issue we had was a water pump bearing failure, outside of the warenty of course. 700ish to replace. Been lucky but I don't regret having a "higher mileage" LR4. I would assume the dealer inspection would be sufficient if you trust them. They generally don't like to go back and fix things they missed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM