side step/protection beam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sgh71

Reaction score
I keep going back and forth on whether to get them or not to get them.
Part of the reason to get them is for my daughter (5yo) can get in and out easier. Any thoughts?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, what are the reasons NOT to get them? You don't like the way they look? You plan on off-roading the car? If you like them and don't plan on going off-road (much), why not. They definitely would help the little one in and out of those rear seats, even in access height that's quite a climb for them. I believe there are replicas sold on eBay that looks pretty much like the OEMs and cost a lot less.

sgh71

Reaction score
Basically what you said^^^some off road plus it already has a 2.5 lift with the rhino rods. Ok ill order them☺

StillDisco

Reaction score
I would definitely say go for it. The factory ones on my '16 do not get in the way at all during the off-road driving I've done. I certainly don't plan to mess with rocks. Once this week at the farm I was trying to get back into the closed driver's door when the truck was slightly uphill and with the suspension in the raised setting; without the side steps I don't actually think I would have been able to step back into the car without some kind of jump.

If you have a lift, then heck yeah get them unless you're rock crawling more than carrying your daughter around.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the side step black tubes. I like them. I like the look of them and, as it happens, I do notice my 5 year old daughter stepping on them when she gets in the car.

Beyond that, the tubes are more for fashion than function. They fit too tight for most adults to get a step in on them, although, when I'm barefoot I use them to more easily access my roof.

YMMV, but I like the look of the tubes better than the side steps. That said, the tubes I have are not sliders and offer no protection. Which is okay for me as my offroading consists mainly of snow and sand. Less rock.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put 'em on for the exact same reason- 2 kids going in and out of the vehicle. Couple of thoughts now that I did:

Check around before buying from the dealer. Some folks -hate- the way they look, and pay places other than the dealer to take them off (the dealer can't remove them on newer LR4s, they are part of the side impact protection). I found an OEM set on CL that an auto detialer removed for a client. $125. They were brand new.:biggrin:

I have noticed that the kids get in fine now, but unless the vehicle is raised then they are awkward for me.. It's not quite high enough to use, and now you have to take a small step onto them or a big step over them to get in. Not a big deal, but if you are wearing your Sunday best then you might scuff a shoe on them..

All in all, I'm glad I did it..

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer added them to our LR4 at its arrival. I was going to take them off but ended up leaving them, they definitely came in handy for small kids and elderly people getting in/out of the truck.

Another thing, they kept the vehicle from getting door dings in parking lots. Careless people would open their doors and hit the running board and dent it instead of the door.
It was unbelievable how many little door dents were on my running boards when I traded it in, not a single one on the vehicle itself.

They would be a hindrance off road for sure, but since we didn't ********* off road our rover they were really a benefit.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the black OEM tubes but was disappointed. IMO, not enough room to use safely as a step. (I put "sand paper tape" on them and still wasn't comfortable.) Replaced them with Voyager sliders with the step built in. Much, much happier. I use the steps all the time now for both getting in the truck and getting to the rack and mine isn't lifted. But those sliders are much more expensive as they are real sliders.

But in any case, having a functional step is very handy.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, aside from the crappy factory paint job on them, I love my Voyager sliders with step.

I use it every time I get in and out and they look a hell of a lot better than any OEM offerings.

Attachments

• 20150403_161302.jpg
    20150403_161302.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9