"Smart key not found" help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
This happened to me right after I bought my car. My third party garage said they could program it in 15 minutes, and 90 minutes later they came out and said they unprogrammed my original key. They had to load it and take it to the dealer to get them to program both the keys.

Charlesu69

Reaction score
This happened to me right after I bought my car. My third party garage said they could program it in 15 minutes, and 90 minutes later they came out and said they unprogrammed my original key. They had to load it and take it to the dealer to get them to program both the keys.
Hi. Do you have details of how it was fixed? Was any part changed?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm assuming they look at your VIN and are able to access the original frequency of your fob in Land Rover's records. They then take a new fob and program it to that frequency.

It's most likely that this has to be done at the dealer.

HuskerBred

Reaction score
They just reprogrammed my original key fob and the new one too. But they have to have both, the car and the keys to do it. After they charged me $100 to program it, I wished I had just purchased a programming tool and did it myself.

olabodejegede

Reaction score
Yes, good to hear that the problem is sorted out. In some cases power absence in the Keyless Vehicle Module (KVM or RFA) would prevent from performing a radio frequency smart key operations for starting your car. That was why you were able to start car with the placement of smart key under steering area because there you have the IAU(Immobi Antenna Unit) which is independent of the KVM for start functions. Its a backup put inplace to address this. ultimately, i suspected a blown fuse 17 (5A) in passenger side fusebox. It initially prevented the key programming. Or it could be a cut Brown/Red wire(it directly supplies power to KVM in the trunk area from the Fuse 17) in the drain well along the passenger side below the doors. This usually happens if you have water presence in that area. Smart keys are registered to the KVM so that you perform keyless entry and smart key starting functions on these vehicles.

Kevin Roberts

Reaction score
Any updates on this problem ?? i`ve got exactly the same problem at the moment only my Range Rover L322 3.6tdv8 MY2010, it has been sitting at an Indi JLR Garage for the last 15 weeks !!

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it probably doesn't help but my key fob stopped unlocking and locking my 2011 LR 4 out of the blue. same thing, I could start it by putting it under the steering column. took it to the dealer they replaced the battery for free and tested the remote( turns out the remote was fine) it was something with the car not processing the signal or some BS. told me $230per hour but they think its what ever controls the locks( sounded expen$ive) so I opted to go home and google. on my drive home the air suspension shut off along with a plethora of warning lights. long story short it was because my alignment was out.... I kid you not. I jumped under with a wrench and turned out the tie rod ends till the steering wheel was perfectly centered again( getting new tires the next week so didn't care that the alignment was all messed up) and instantly everything was back to normal... even the locking and unlocking. i dont know if this will apply to you because my car was still drivable but good luck.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it probably doesn't help but my key fob stopped unlocking and locking my 2011 LR 4 out of the blue. same thing, I could start it by putting it under the steering column. took it to the dealer they replaced the battery for free and tested the remote( turns out the remote was fine) it was something with the car not processing the signal or some BS. told me $230per hour but they think its what ever controls the locks( sounded expen$ive) so I opted to go home and google. on my drive home the air suspension shut off along with a plethora of warning lights. long story short it was because my alignment was out.... I kid you not. I jumped under with a wrench and turned out the tie rod ends till the steering wheel was perfectly centered again( getting new tires the next week so didn't care that the alignment was all messed up) and instantly everything was back to normal... even the locking and unlocking. i dont know if this will apply to you because my car was still drivable but good luck.

Can we add this to the "Wonderful World of Land Rover Ownership Hand Book"?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I jumped under with a wrench and turned out the tie rod ends till the steering wheel was perfectly centered again( getting new tires the next week so didn't care that the alignment was all messed up) and instantly everything was back to normal... even the locking and unlocking.

LOL! "It's a Land Rover Thing."

MeLandy

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a disco 4 2013 sdv6 with this problem at the moment since we had the cold weather this past weekend. Initial problem> My car allowed me to open get in drive it then when I've stopped the engine I have the issue smart key not recognised. At first I get out the car to lock with the door buttons and nothing NOTHING not even the beeps from the horn :(. Called the RAC Friday and couldn't get to me throughout the day or evening so I decided to offer the key up to the steering column late Friday night and then the key was recognised and I could lock the car from outside the car with the fob again. 3 days later I have the same problem. If the fob is lost to the brains does this also mean that the horn does not sound when press the buttons on door. Does anyone no which Fuse out of 17 and 37 controls the main central locking from outside the car? The central locking works inside the car windows etc... Just looking for some piece of mind at this point hoping it is just reprogram key fob and I think I will use the main dealer. I CAN ALSO START THE CAR BY OFFERING THE KEY UP TO STEERING COLUMN AND WORKS ON SECOND PRESS OF START/STOP. I dont ever start the car by applying the brake pedal in the first instance as it is a diesel and like the warm plugs to do their job first. I then press brake pedal and start stop to start. Still not recognise as soon as turn engine off. Any ideas men/ladies ;) Fuse 17 Keyless entry/start, central locking 5 amp.<I guess this is okay because I can start the car? Fuse 37 Keyless entry,central locking 20amp

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9