Smog Test

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All i just went for a smog test and to my horror my 98 Disco failed having a quick look at the paper work the only thing that failed was the MIL/Check Engine Light also Random/Multiple misfire error P0300 and Cat Efficiency below threshold (Bank 1) were also indicated but everything else passed so did the car fail because of the check engine light or are there other problems that i need to check into

Last edited:
D

discomike

It doesn't matter what is wrong with the truck, in California if the CEL is on you can't pass, that is pretty much the same for any smog inspection state, even if the light is on for a transmission problem
You have to make the necessary repairs, have the codes cleared and then go get rechecked.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cheers Mike ...............took the truck to Midas who cleared the codes but only a few hours later the check engine light came back on

D

discomike

So, What were the codes???
It is obvious that your truck is trying to tell you something.
Hope you get it resolved.
Mike J.

J

JackUnion

You need to get someone to pull the codes again, it's only obd II so most shops can pull them and nowadays you can buy your only scanner fairly cheap. If it comes up random misfire again the first thing to check is the spark plugs, leads and the coil pack, could be just dampness getting at them. But, I hate to tell you this but in my experiance random misfire quite often ends up blown head gasket.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0300 and P0420 the guy at midas believes the problem may be caused by a leaky exhaust ?

C

campbell

I had a multiple cylinder misfire that turned out to be the plug wires. I replaced the plugs initially, but that did not cure the misfires.
Find an area that is as dark as possible, i.e. garage with the lights off but door open (don’t want to asphyxiate yourself). Turn the vehicle on and look under the hood. When I did this with my D2 it looked like a small light show. A majority of the plug wires were shot. Had them changed out and all is good.

Slartibartfast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for all your sage advice guys but it appears the catalytic converter needs replaced and its bleedin pricey too all i know is i have been advised to keep my Vaseline handy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4